1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Norco storm 9.1 vs Trek X-Caliber 4

My bike finally kicked it, drivetrain is warped and isn't really worth it to replace. Seeing as I ride it on a daily basis, I need to replace the thing asap (before Wednesday hopefully)
    I unfortunately don't really know much about bikes, but I've fallen in love with the Norco Storm pretty much through my LBS's salesmanship.

Alternatively, another LBS nearby recommended the Trek X-Caliber 4, both are around the same price range and I fully plan on testriding both tomorrow, just wondered if anyone had experience with either of the two bikes.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ended up getting a Charger 9.3 for a bit of a deal, absolutely needed the bike, mine is completely done.
    Went over a speedbump on the way home and the chain popped off. Is that normal for a new bike? They tuned it before I left the store, but that makes me nervous.

mtbr member
    Did it come off the front or the rear? Is there enough chain tension to keep it snug on the rear derailleur?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Front, and I went over it a few more times and it seems to have only happened once (Or when I force it into the big ring, which I don't plan on doing)

Just worried me a bit, anything I should look out for or should I just call it a fluke? Thanks for the response by the by.