mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Norco charger 9.3 Vs Scott aspect 940

Hello

I am still new to mountain bike and do not understand specs just yet. I was in the market for a trek x caliber 2014, but the LBS are out of last year models. I am looking for a bike similar to the specs of an x caliber 9 2014 or close to it.

I rode both of these and they both felt really great. The Scott felt sportier, like I was on a lighter frame. But the specs weren't as good as the charger. But I'm not sure if i the frame is Lighter or not.

I might consider getting a Scott scale or a charger 9.1 if I can squeeze a little bit more out of my budget.

I am wondering what you guys feel is the more superior bike between these two series.

And what do you feel about these two bike brands. I haven't really paid attention to them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Brakes and drivetrain look to be the same. While the forks are different they are both mediocre ones. Might be okay if you weigh 150-180. But with the Suntour fork you can use their upgrade program and get a Raidon fork for $200. I'd suggest buying whichever one you feel rides better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is the charger 9.1 similar to the x caliber 9?
    Is Norco and Scott a good brand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Scott make 29 hardtails with good handling geo in the Scale line. 438mm chainstays. The Aspect has a heavier frame and long 450mm chainstays. I wouldn't buy that bike- it won't be quick in the turns.
    Trek's Superfly line has slightly better handling geo than a Scale because of the 51mm offset fork and other minor geo differences.
    These are all aluminum frame bikes, so they become tiring when you get to the point of riding a lot over bumpy terrain.
    Riders think they need a full sus bike then but the Superfly 9.6 carbon has compliance for comfort engineered into the frame. The oem XR1 Expert tires are too skinny, they kill the compliance and need to be swapped for the Team versions.

I'd ride your Trail 3 and save for a real upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So, are Scotts a better company than Norco?

The superfly is out of my budget..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...er/charger-93/

Here is the link of the Norco. I am still considering buyimg
    An x caliber from trek. Would the Norco be between the
    X caliber 8 and 9?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Scott bikes are excellent. I have a Scott Scale 970 and my wife has a Scott Aspect 920. The geometry of the two bikes is slightly different in that the Aspect is a higher, more upright riding position with a shorter top tube whereas the Scale is more race bike geometry, longer top tube, lower, more stretched out riding position. Both are excellent. I used my wife's Aspect for trail riding whilst on vacation over Xmas and found it performed very well. I love my Scale but would be pretty happy on the Aspect too.

Hope that helps. Can't help re the Norco, don't know anything about that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 9.3 has the same coil spring fork as the 8 but lesser 9sp Alivio drivetrain vs 10sp X5,7.
    Trek has better geo with 51mm fork offset vs 46mm, 445 vs 450 chainstays and 69* vs 70.5 headtube angle.
    But you would have to ride for a while to notice the difference.
    I'd put a 9.3 just below an 8. An 8 should resell easier for more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks eb189
    https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain...er/charger-91/

Where would you consider putting the 9.1 in the x caliber series. Is it closer to the 9?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xAquinas View Post
    Where would you consider putting the 9.1 in the x caliber series. Is it closer to the 9?
    Just below the 9 which has a 32mm stanchion air fork vs the 30mm version of the 9.1.
    X-Cal also has better geo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Perhaps I should look into the rock hopper. I want to get the best bang for my buck. So many choices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How do you guys feel about Norco bicycles?
    I was going to get the 2014 x Cal 9. But they are all out.
    Bikes this year seems to have gotten way more expensive compared to last years

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Used can be a good route to value.
    Find out your size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Would you consider Norco charger a good bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Norco is a strong producer of all mountain fs bikes.
    I would pick a Scott or Trek for a 29 hardtail.
    A manager is the only person who can negotiate a lower 15-20% off price on a bike at a Trek shop.
    See if you can get a Superfly 5 at the price you were going to pay for a X-Cal 9. Use cash as a bargaining chip.
    Talk to several shops until you find a manager who will work with you to get the deal done where you need to be.
    It took 6 to find 2 who would work with me. 60% down. No special order. Just get it with the next regular bike shipment.

F8L
    mtbr member
    I just sold my 2015 Scott Aspect 930 and ordered a Norco Sight a7.1.

The Scott worked very well and the only thing I noticed immediate and lasting disapointment with was the Suntour fork. It was really notchy feeling and not smooth at all.

I'd lean more towards the Scott in terms of geometry (slacker head angle and shorter chainstay) but the Norco fork may be better. The bikes are so close I'm not sure you could go wrong either way.

I'm pretty sold on Norco for FS bikes so my girlfriend will likely get one soon and when it's time for the boy to upgrade he'll either be on a Charger or Fluid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well, the deal for the Scott scale 735 fell. The manager was just not willing to negotiate even though the bike had to have been sitting there since 2013.

What do you think of Norco hardtails?
    The bike felt pretty good but I want to make sure that I can get the best bang out of my buck. And I don't K of much about Norco. I'm so used to treks, specialized, Cannondales and gtd.

mtbr member
    I am also considering a Norco purchase for later this year. You can read this thread here to see what Norco owners have to say about them: Why did you choose Norco ?

F8L
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xAquinas View Post
    Well, the deal for the Scott scale 735 fell. The manager was just not willing to negotiate even though the bike had to have been sitting there since 2013.

What do you think of Norco hardtails?
    The bike felt pretty good but I want to make sure that I can get the best bang out of my buck. And I don't K of much about Norco. I'm so used to treks, specialized, Cannondales and gtd.
    Generally speaking Norco offers a good bang for your buck and they are a reputable company. They are not as big and visible as some of the others is all. I would place your final judgement on which one you like the feel of the best and your LBS support of the bike you're interested in. Liek I said before, either of your choices are good. Just pick the one that fits you best. It's that simple.

F8L
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I read that article. It almost got me putting down on a Norco.

But then I think K if I'm. Spending 1200...then I might as well buy the damn trek superfly 5. I'm one of those people that take awhile to buy anything until I'm absolutely understand what my options are.

Would you say that the superfly 5 is a better bike than the Norco 9.1?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes and when you want to sell it for a new bike it will be easier.