1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Noobs first post

Hi all, I tend to lurk on forums for a while, but this MTB thing has me wanting more and asking myself alot of questions!

So far I learned:

I am a clyd @ 215 lbs

My MTB is really a Hybrid?

Buy the best bike you can afford, your only going to get better!

I own a used (in great shape) 2005 Fuji Sunfire, Suntour SR2000 non-adjustable fork, hardtail, blah, blah, blah...

My question, after reading, I am having a hard time with the upgrade idea of the front forks. I would like some spankin' new ones just like everybody else. The question is that I don't know enough about the bike to change the travel and geometry of the front end. SO I am actually looking the other way --- Go with a rigid front fork (to save weight) and put a 2.35 tire on there? I mean my riding (light trails, no jumping or stunts) I don't really need a front susp. do I?

Go easy, i'm a virgin

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm not sure how many people will agree, but personally, I'd run a rigid fork for light stuff (no logs,jumps etc). The weight savings will probably make your bike more enjoyable. If you do decide you want to do more advanced or technical trail riding, it's worth it to save up and get a whole new bike altogether. Upgrading that bike will most likely not yield the results you're looking for.

-Avinash

I can ride a two-wheeler
    don't upgrade anything on that bike.....its not meant for mtn biking, and the lables and manual probably say that too...its just meant to be a really comfortable road bike...the ride position is nothing like a mountain bike's position

buy something like a used or brand new specialized hardrock, trek 3900, trek 4500 , iron horse maverick etc......those are all beginner level mountain bikes that are cheap, especially the iron horse

if you want a rigid fork, you'll probably need to go with a used bike, but you can pick one up for under a hundred bucks like that

No good in rock gardens..
    Don't sink any more money into the bike on upgrades - ride it as is - if you really enjoy the sport save up for a whole new bike.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

local trails rider
    I looked up the 2005 Fuji Sunfire and it looks like it would be OK for "light trails, no jumping or stunts". Just take it easy when you encounter rocks, roots and stuff, OK?

I would not spend a lot of money upgrading that bike. Ride it to death and save money for another bike. By that time you should have some idea of what kind of a bike you really want, too.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by pat2k8
    Hi all, I tend to lurk on forums for a while, but this MTB thing has me wanting more and asking myself alot of questions!

So far I learned:

I am a clyd @ 215 lbs

My MTB is really a Hybrid?

Buy the best bike you can afford, your only going to get better!

I own a used (in great shape) 2005 Fuji Sunfire, Suntour SR2000 non-adjustable fork, hardtail, blah, blah, blah...

My question, after reading, I am having a hard time with the upgrade idea of the front forks. I would like some spankin' new ones just like everybody else. The question is that I don't know enough about the bike to change the travel and geometry of the front end. SO I am actually looking the other way --- Go with a rigid front fork (to save weight) and put a 2.35 tire on there? I mean my riding (light trails, no jumping or stunts) I don't really need a front susp. do I?

Go easy, i'm a virgin
    Suspension will make certian things easier. However, you don't need it. I've been riding fully rigid on some pretty technical trails, and its not nearly as bad as you might think. You will be slightly slower on the downhills, though.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Fully rigid bikes were how this whole crazy mountain biking fad started, isn't it? Pick up a cheapo rigid fork and go nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I love this forum, thanks for the responses! I knew I would get a handfull of the "save your money" posts, I appreciate that and I know and will be getting by with this bike until then. Alot of people get caught in two catagories, first is the guy who has $$$ and just buys the latest and greatest and the second is the person who gets all his "ideas" from the people on the forums. I know there are others who love the sport and spend the $$ wisley (don't flame!)

I guess I am just loving this new "hobby" I am a die hard gearhead, cars, bikes and such. But I am going to be 34 this month and I have become plump, so a "hobby" that gets me out is great. I do have the problem where I cannot leave anything alone, I love to tinker! So I am just enjoying a new found thing and seeing what it's about! Learning as I go...

I love DH already, but need the gears to get my fat A$$ up the hill again, I like XC also and a little pavement. But I don't like the bottoming out suspension I have now and thought on the cheap a rigid fork and 2.5 or 2.7 would be neat to try? I was thinking of the ways this bike *might* live on after another real bike comes along. It has a nice aluminum frame and thought a lightweight DH hardtail with no front Susp. and a single speed would be cool, but again I am just learning!

Im rambling on, damn! I just seem to love this whole MTB thing, wish I could ride more and have 100 bikes! Thanks for the input.......

hardcore on the bunnyhill
    Once you save up enough for a real trail worthy bike you will be able to get quality suspension parts that won't bottom out on you. If you really enjoy the downhills, you will definetly enjoy them more with a quality fork (it doesn't have to be the crazy thousand dollar forks that some of these guys get, just a quality mid level fork from a company such as Rock Shox or Marzocchi). If I were in your situation, I'd just ride your current bike into the ground and have as much fun on it as possible while saving about $900 or so for a good tough hardtail frame (Kona makes some tough frames) with a decent fork. That will get you up the hill well enough and will be fun to cruise down in too. But then again....thats just me.
    Mr.Burns: Quick Smithers, bring me the mind eraser device!
    Smithers: You mean the revolver, sir?
    Mr.Burns: Precisely.

mtbr member
    It's your A$$ on the saddle...buy, and ride, what YOU want. It's all about having fun...enjoy.