1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Noobie with upgrade questions

Hey guys,
    So Ive been riding bikes all my life, but about 4 years ago I completely fell off the horse and stopped riding. So I'm trying to get back into it and just bought a bike from Craigslist. It is a Specialized Hardrock Comp. from 03, I think. It has a Shimano Alivio drivetrain with a 3x8 gear set and a Rockshox Judy TT fork. Ive been riding this bike almost every day for the past 3 weeks now and Im starting to notice things I want to change. As of right now I want new pedals because the stock ones keep slipping on me when I ride over rough terrain and I want new tires, just to go bigger for a softer ride and more cushion on drops. I am getting into single track riding now and would like to to know any opinions about good budget upgrades i could do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and heres a pic. Noobie with upgrade questions-specialized-hr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Performance Bikes Forte pedals or ebay pedals with stubby pins will work with runners. Longer sharp thin pins will tear up runners and need harder rubber 5.10 freerides. This video shows the low heels technique for riding platform pedals. There is a small learning curve.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance folding 26x2.25 although something bigger may fit.