1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    SRL
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Noobie saying hi!

Hey all! My name is Stefan and I am brand new to the site. I'm just getting back into biking as a means to get more fit, lose weight, and enjoy what summer has to offer! I spend way too much time in front of a computer.

I picked up my new bike yesterday. Tek 21.5" X-caliber 6. 29" wheels. Yesterday was my first time riding a bike in at least 10 years, and I gotta say, my ass hurts like hell today... Not just feeling bruised, but some almost cut skin? Very very sensitive. I really hope that's something I`ll just build a tolerance to...

My first trip out, I went for a 6km ride through the river valley here in Edmonton Alberta. It really made me realize how much I missed biking. Back at the start of highschool (im 28 now), I did a few 25km xc races, but never stuck with it. Yesterday just being out and about, even though I was incredibly out of shape, and needed a bunch of breaks, I was so very content.

As I mentioned, just overall fitness / weight loss is my main goal, and I plan on commuting to work (5km each way) once my butt can handle it. But living decently close to the mountains, I definitely want to get out there as well for some real trails.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to meeting everyone!

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SRL View Post
    Hey all! My name is Stefan and I am brand new to the site. I'm just getting back into biking as a means to get more fit, lose weight, and enjoy what summer has to offer! I spend way too much time in front of a computer.

I picked up my new bike yesterday. Tek 21.5" X-caliber 6. 29" wheels. Yesterday was my first time riding a bike in at least 10 years, and I gotta say, my ass hurts like hell today... Not just feeling bruised, but some almost cut skin? Very very sensitive. I really hope that's something I`ll just build a tolerance to...

My first trip out, I went for a 6km ride through the river valley here in Edmonton Alberta. It really made me realize how much I missed biking. Back at the start of highschool (im 28 now), I did a few 25km xc races, but never stuck with it. Yesterday just being out and about, even though I was incredibly out of shape, and needed a bunch of breaks, I was so very content.

As I mentioned, just overall fitness / weight loss is my main goal, and I plan on commuting to work (5km each way) once my butt can handle it. But living decently close to the mountains, I definitely want to get out there as well for some real trails.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to meeting everyone!

cheers!
    Welcome to the forum Stefan! Don't worry, your ass will be fine after a while. Just keep riding