1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

NOOB from Utah...

How goes it MTBR,
    I'm the new kid, and I'm as green as they come.
    My name is Brad, and I'm from a small town in Eastern-Utah...I've been a dirt-bike guy my whole life, riding & racing in the deserts of Utah. It's only been fairly recently that the idea of picking up a mtn. bike has crossed my mind, and to be honest...I honestly haven't ridden any style of pedal bike since I was a kid. However, I'm sincerely looking forward to seeing what this side of the two wheeled world has to offer...along with building relationships with many of you.

Until yesterday I technically didn't even own a bike yet, as my local shop just placed an order for my bike sometime over the past week or so...but that all changed earlier today when I got a phone call to come pick up my 2014 Specialized "Rockhopper Comp"!!! I'm not really sure just how 'serious' I should anticipate getting with this whole MTB thing yet, as I have another passion/activity that consumes the majority of my time & money...more than anything I'm just hoping riding a Mtn. bike can help get me back into shape and keep me involved on two wheels, now that my time on a motorcycle is starting to come to an end.

Please forgive me seeing as how this is only my 2nd post ever, and I haven't had a chance to browse through previous topics yet...but with that being said I'm a complete & total NOOB to this scene. What kind, if any advice can be offered & recommended for a guy like me who wants to 'get his feet wet'...but just isn't too sure how to go about getting involved in the community and start enjoying my new bike to the fullest (I'm pretty scared & nervous). Anyway, thanks for hearing me out...I'm looking forward to exploring the forums a little more and getting to know a few of you guys & girls better!!!

NOOB from Utah...-10525756_10152192193764109_382000903952983926_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    "What kind, if any advice can be offered & recommended for a guy like me who wants to 'get his feet wet'...but just isn't too sure how to go about getting involved in the community and start enjoying my new bike to the fullest"

Go ride. Seriously. Nothing more too it than that. Grab a map, or not, and ride. Get lost, get found, see the sights, scare yourself with too much speed...you get the point. Welcome to the crew. Here's to hoping you get addicted quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do you have a wall mount for that dirt bike.
    They make great kinetic art.
    Look up this post in 2 months.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Let say this. Don't get discouraged on your first few rides. Things you think you can't climb, you can. Things that look to knarly to ride down. You can cruise down that easily too. You'll also be surprised how much ground you'll cover, and how much you will appreciate the simplicity of using human power to get wherever you want to go. There's just something special about controlling and maneuvering 30 pounds of tech beneath you. Every little shift of body weight translates instantly to your ride.

*drunk slightly*