1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

(noob) Thoughs on my bike

Hello all my name is Tyler im 24 and currently live in the awesome Pacific NW Bellingham, WA which has trails every where. Galbraith Mt is only ten miles from my house. However I am a noob to the MTB world and don't know much about but bikes. But I am here to learn and love riding so far. I just bought a 05 diamondback Topanga comp on craigslist for 250 the bike is in very good condition (couldn't upload pics says the image is to big not to computer smart either). But anyway I just wanted to introduce my self and get some comments and thoughts on the bike

mtbr member
    Welcome to the addiction! Mountain biking is an awesome hobby and a great way to stay in shape. I don't know much about that bike as I am pretty new to the hobby but have fun and ride it till the wheels fall off. Then put them back on and do it over.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Galbraith is a great place to ride.

Looking at bikepedia, looks like you got yourself a cookie-cutter aluminum hardtail. Not that that's a bad thing - you should be able to ride pretty much every trail up there, although it will have a somewhat lower speed limit than a lot of the rigs you'll see other people riding.

Really big tires and a lot of hours of riding will take you a long way.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thank for the comments guys. yeah galbraith is awesome went a couple of days ago and got lost diffidently going to get a map before next time I go. Also was riding bike today and left crank arm came off I went to the lbs and got a crank arm screw and put it back on but it came off again what can I do or should do thank guys

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you post a picture of your crank? There are a few different standards, and depending on what you've got, how big a problem you have and what you need to do to fix it are going to vary.

With some older cranks, the torque in the fastening bolt had to be really high. And some of the standards were prone to damage from riding loose. With some of the newer ones, it's a lot simpler and you may just need loc-tite. But I don't know what you have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ok here are some pics I hope this helps

(noob) Thoughs on my bike-dsc02675.jpg(noob) Thoughs on my bike-dsc02676.jpg(noob) Thoughs on my bike-dsc02682.jpg(noob) Thoughs on my bike-dsc02678.jpg(noob) Thoughs on my bike-dsc02687.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    From a little clicking around, the standard on your bike is Truvativ Power Spline. Here's a (more-or-less) applicable manual.
    http://www.bike-components.de/bedien...manual2005.pdf

31 ft-lb is a lot of torque. So you may just not have bolted your crank arms on tightly enough. If you don't have a sense of how much 31 ft-lb is, see if you can borrow a torque wrench. If you continue to have problems, use the lightest loc-tite (blue?) on the bolt threads. Don't put it other places - sometimes people have a really hard time getting crank arms off, and sooner or later, you will kill your bottom bracket and want to replace it.

I thought when I ran by them today, "That tyler98226 dude should really know about The HUB." They seem to suck at The Internet, although you can find some information online. But you can also call them.

The HUB
    903 1/2 N State St, Bellingham, WA 98225
    Phone360) 255-2072

Hope that helps.

Rogue Exterminator
    I hate to tell you this but maybe it will help you when buying your next bike and save you a considerable amount of money.

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ok thank Andrew don't know much about torque wrenches but after doing some research about it I guess just a standard 3/8" socket with an 8mm hex drive on it would work. correct me if im wrong. do I tighten the spindle, bottom bracket as well or just the crank arm on, and do I also need grease? thanks for all your help and info on the hub they are closed until Wednesday diffidently going to check it out

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    would this work it is a 1/2 in tho Name:  w3001c.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  30.5 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes ,you could buy a 1/2 "drive socket or an adapter to 3/8" drive.