Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Noob says hello

3K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  graviT_railer 
#1 · (Edited)
Joined the site today to gather research and tips on gear/clothing/parts, as well as increasing my skill level. I've owned the following bikes previously:
-2004 Cannondale Chase 1
-2007 Fuji Roubaix
-Custom built Fit/Snafu/Odyssey BMX bike (most seat time)
I've ridden XC before on my roommates old school Giant Iguana a handful of times and decided I'd make the investment in my own. I just scooped this up from a good friend/rider buddy of mine this week:
**pic to come when I get 10 posts**
Specs:
* Frame: 18.5" Kona AA (1995 purple-gray color)
* Fork: Fox F100 RL
* Brakes: Avid BB7 mech. (front), Avid Arch Rival mech. (rear)
* Cranks & BB: Race Face
* Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
* Pedals: Shimano M520
* Stem: Kona XC
* Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite CF
* Seatpost: Kona Race Lite
* Saddle: Fizik Aliante
* Cassette: Shimano XT
* Headset: Chris King
* Grips: ODI
* Front Tire: Tioga Red Pheonix 26x2.0
* Front Rim: Rhino Lite / Deore
* Rear Tire: Tioga Red Pheonix 26x2.0
* Rear Rim: Rhino Lite / Deore
* Weight: 26.5 w/ pedals

I got it for a hell of a deal, with everything but the frame/fork/headset installed new less than a year ago.

My main goals are trimming down from 190lbs to 175, and just becoming a better rider with more stamina.

See less See more
#8 ·
Some things I'm looking for currently are a good set of SPD shoes. Looking at dropping $100 or less, size 43. Could spend up to $150 if I get a nice deal on some closeouts that show significant value for spending that much. I've got some Exustars in a 44, but they're just too big and my feet move around in them.
Also, a good multi-tool that holds a small Co2 cartridge for inflation on the trail...as well as an under-seat bag.

Any insight would be appreciated!

#17 ·
New to MTB

Also pretty new. Have been digesting the site for a few months. Looked really hard at the "How to Manual" vid and ended up over my bars and nicely chewed up while experimenting. Helmet worked well. :D Good luck with your new ride. I ended up with a 2011 Jekyll as a first (it was a good deal)

#24 ·
Hey everyone. I just joined. I'm a turbo noob from Ireland.
I've only got a crusty fixie and I'm selling it next week.
I want to get a decent mountain bike and get into it.
Anybody got any tips on what to get or where to get it?
I dont really know of any brands, makes, etc, as I said I'm a total newbie!

Cheers! :D

#25 ·
VeZz, check out your local bike shops to see what is available near you, and also the classifieds to see whaminkes are out there on the used market. The gurus here answer questions if you find a specific bike you might want to purchase, and you can read reviews as well.

Hello from the frozen North (Maine). I took my first frozen trail ride last night- fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.