1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Noob questions Wal-Mart Genesis Two Nine 29er

I did someting I wouldn't normally do: I paid full asking price of $199.99 for a bike from Wal-Mart. (I think that I will be moving soon and hope to get most of my money back if I sell it).
    It's a hard tail with disc brake in the front only. It looks good IMO and I like the wide, high handle bars, but it's cheaply made the shifters, brake handles and pedals are polymer, it's heavy, etc. but that's what you get for $199.99. It will be used almost exclusively on pavement, bikepaths and sidewalks.

Here are my questions:
    1) The bike somehow feels slow to me. Both wheels and crank seem to spin fine under no load. Brakes are not dragging (any more). Is it safe to assume that they properly greased and set the bearings clearance at the chinese factory or should I clean and regrease everything?
    Are all wheel and crank bearings basically the same size or are there huge differences in the size and quality of wheel and crank bearings?

2) There is quite a bit of "throw" in the front brake disk. I adjusted the axle nuts so that it does not drag. Surely the trow is not desirable, but is it normal/expected in a cheap bike?

3) Anyone here bought one of these and been disappointed or happy

~Disc~Golf~
    Oh boy - this'll be good

How do you expect to get most of your money back?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Oh boy - this'll be good

How do you expect to get most of your money back?
    It's a 29er and it looks good. Remove the goofy decals and it will probably sell for $150+ on Craigs when I decide to sell it.

Titanium junkie
    ^^^
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

father, mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by 29nr View Post
    It's a 29er and it looks good. Remove the goofy decals and it will probably sell for $150+ on Craigs when I decide to sell it.
    Better yet, replace them with a set of Santa Cruz decals and you could probably triple your money. If I bought one of these I would have to be drunk, and therefore would also be very happy, that is until I sobered up and realized what I'd done, and then I would be very disappointed in myself.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Heh, in hindsight I should have left out the explanation why I went with this one instead of a real one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you have a choice but to pay "full asking price" with anything at walmart?
    You'll have a hard time getting you money back on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Do you have a choice but to pay "full asking price" with anything at walmart?
    You'll have a hard time getting you money back on it.
    Actually, you do have a choice (managers do have authority to adjust prices), but yes, I misworded that, I meant to say "paid full price" (as opposed to a sale price).

I never claimed that I would get my money back on it. Only that my $ loss shoud be limited when I sell it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You bought a POS and if you donate it to the Salvation Army and claim it was worth 2k on your taxes, then you'll get your money back. Make sure the fork isn't on backwards before you try to ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The minute you bought it, it turned into a $50 bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    You bought a POS and if you donate it to the Salvation Army and claim it was worth 2k on your taxes, then you'll get your money back. Make sure the fork isn't on backwards before you try to ride it.
    Yeah, I saw a pitcture of a bike like that. The person who posted it said that they owner thought that it actually handled "ok".

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ginty View Post
    The minute you bought it, it turned into a $50 bike.
    Kid, while you may value it at only $50, it would sell for more than that on CL.
    Either way, that was not one of the questions.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does it have a sticker on the top tube saying "Not designed to be taken off road" like the Schwinn mtb's do from Wal-Mart? Just curious..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kid, while you may value it at only $50, it would sell for more than that on CL.
    Either way, that was not one of the questions.
    I wasn't trying to answer your questions. I was stating facts in reference to "I think that I will be moving soon and hope to get most of my money back if I sell it"

And no... you should not get more than $50 for it on CL unless you are taking advantage of someone who knows nothing about bikes. (Such as Wal-Mart did to you!)

Good luck with it, and for the issues you were referring to in your questions. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately you got much less.

Thanks for calling me kid too by the way, makes me feel young again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Does it have a sticker on the top tube saying "Not designed to be taken off road" like the Schwinn mtb's do from Wal-Mart? Just curious..
    No, it doesn't (I don't know if they put that in the owner's manual), but then again, as I already stated, it will be used almost exlusively on pavement
    (although yesterday I did take it down a "sweet" path someone had made to a field with a mower you pull behind a tractor. )
    Last edited by 29nr; 08-08-2012 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ginty View Post
    I wasn't trying to answer your questions. I was stating facts in reference to "I think that I will be moving soon and hope to get most of my money back if I sell it"

And no... you should not get more than $50 for it on CL unless you are taking advantage of someone who knows nothing about bikes. (Such as Wal-Mart did to you!)

Good luck with it, and for the issues you were referring to in your questions. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately you got much less.

Thanks for calling me kid too by the way, makes me feel young again!
    You're welcome (but not much more than that).
    I'll let you know what it brings on CL once I sell it, but i can already promise you that it will be more than $50 and without taking advantage of anyone.
    As I already told you, I know that it's a cheap bike and therefore cheaply made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're welcome (but not much more than that).
    I'll let you know what it brings on CL once I sell it, but i can already promise you that it will be more than $50 and without taking advantage of anyone.
    As I already told you, I know that it's a cheap bike and therefore cheaply made.
    Take a photo of the inbred "mark" that buys it too and post ... poor bastard.

AZ
    banned
    Please don't feed the trolls.

About 29nr
    From
    (City, State or Country)
    USA
    Year started riding
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than
    Road
    Favorite Trail
    Around your mommas house
    Bike Setup
    Wally-World Genesis Two Nine :O

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Take a photo of the inbred "mark" that buys it too and post ... poor bastard.
    Are you actaually declaring on a public forum that you think that a used 29er, even one from Wal-Mart, with a couple/few of monhts of pavement duty would sell for only $50?

And I thought that explaining why I bought a cheap POS and that I know that it's a cheap POS would keep kids from asking questions like:
    "don't you know that it's a cheap POS?"
    "why would you buy a cheap POS?"
    "don't you know that my sweet new spandex riding outfit cost more than $199?"
    etc.

Master Shredder
    I did someting I wouldn't normally do: I paid full asking price of $199.99 for a bike from Wal-Mart. (I think that I will be moving soon and hope to get most of my money back if I sell it).
    It's a hard tail with disc brake in the front only. It looks good IMO and I like the wide, high handle bars, but it's cheaply made the shifters, brake handles and pedals are polymer, it's heavy, etc. but that's what you get for $199.99. It will be used almost exclusively on pavement, bikepaths and sidewalks.

Here are my questions:
    1) The bike somehow feels slow to me. Both wheels and crank seem to spin fine under no load. Brakes are not dragging (any more). Is it safe to assume that they properly greased and set the bearings clearance at the chinese factory or should I clean and regrease everything?
    Are all wheel and crank bearings basically the same size or are there huge differences in the size and quality of wheel and crank bearings?

2) There is quite a bit of "throw" in the front brake disk. I adjusted the axle nuts so that it does not drag. Surely the trow is not desirable, but is it normal/expected in a cheap bike?

3) Anyone here bought one of these and been disappointed or happy
    If you haven't rode it on a trail yet, do yourself a favor and return it to Wal-Mart right now for a full refund. Then go to Costco and get a Northrock 29er. It's slightly more expensive, but a STEAL for the components. And you can actually ride trails with it without fearing for your life.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Please don't feed the trolls.

About 29nr
    From
    (City, State or Country)
    USA
    Year started riding
    Favorite type of riding
    (can choose more than
    Road
    Favorite Trail
    Around your mommas house
    Bike Setup
    Wally-World Genesis Two Nine :O

"Amazing" "detective work", but no troll. Just a guy with a couple of simple questions.
    Hopefully some adult will see them and answer them...

banned
    Sep 2010
    troll.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MTB B'dos
    I think these are the sorts of questions that Wally World should be able to answer and help you with, why don't you give their excellent CS a try, they'll surely let one of their "certified" mechanics help you?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    If you haven't rode it on a trail yet, do yourself a favor and return it to Wal-Mart right now for a full refund. Then go to Costco and get a Northrock 29er. It's slightly more expensive, but a STEAL for the components. And you can actually ride trails with it without fearing for your life.

Thanks. I couldn't find it on their website, but I'll give them a call.
    Because I don't have one very close, I'm not a member. Do you know if they allow you to buy from them without a membership if you pay a surcharge or is a membership required?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I think these are the sorts of questions that Wally World should be able to answer and help you with, why don't you give their excellent CS a try, they'll surely let one of their "certified" mechanics help you?
    Well, I'm sad to say that with the exception of one person, they would have probably done better than this forum so far...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast