1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. Noob question - Does hydraulic brakes ever fail to be engaged?

curious to know, does they ever fail due to some technical errors or something while riding? Since they got no cable, only fluid in it
    2013 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sure. Air in the line will cause a lack of pressure. The lever will go to the bar without pushing fluid to move the piston. A small amount can be overcome with pumping of the lever. Failure of both front and rear is very unlikely because you have separate systems.
    A slight leak of fluid at the hose connection to the caliper can get fluid on the pads. This can diminish braking to zero at one. The other brake wouldn't be affected.
    Like mechanical brakes, pads can fall out. Usually if the retainer isn't installed correctly after a service.

Your car uses a fluid system.

mtbr member
    that is how you stop your car...same ditty
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks both! I know car uses the same mechanism but sometimes while I ride, I feel like one of the brakes will stop working for no reason, and I will end up being in a bush kind of psychological I think...
    2013 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The likelihood of a catastrophic failure with no warning of both brakes allowing you to go into a bush is very, very close to zero. You can go into a bush many other ways. All are much more likely. The highest probability is that you will have fun going fast with no problems or bush encounters. Concentrate on improving your skills and stop for the day when you notice mistakes beginning because you are tiring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroof View Post
    sometimes while I ride, I feel like one of the brakes will stop working for no reason, and I will end up being in a bush
    Why don't you bleed them or have someone bleed them for you, you may have air in your system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroof View Post
    Thanks both! I know car uses the same mechanism but sometimes while I ride, I feel like one of the brakes will stop working for no reason, and I will end up being in a bush kind of psychological I think...
    can't help with that...sorry
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    sure they can fail

but it is pretty hard to wreck a hydraulic line in hard riding. you really need to hook them on something hard to damage them

that being said i only use cable discs now (avid) just because I hate hydro maintenance and setup. when I was running hydros the only mess was initial setup...after that I never had to crack into them again

'Tis but a scratch
    If its working most of the time and occasionally "one brake stops working", then I agree with a previous poster that suggested a bleed. There could be an air bubble that is moving around in the line.

Overall, in my opinion, hydraulic brakes have greater stopping power, are easier to set-up, make less noise and in my experience are less prone to mechanical issue. But, they can still fail. The only failure I have actually experienced was part of a crash, whereby a hose was ripped out. That crash sucked for the rider, too.