1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Noob question about pedals..

Hello all!

New here and just had a question about what to look for in a pedal...specifically for a mtb/freeride style. Weight is of little concern to me, with all of the sets weighing within a hundred grams or so, it seems negligible. Durability is everything from my point of view, for a part that seemingly takes the most direct, constant stress.

Not too many pedals come in green, and not wanting to sacrifice quality for bling factor, I've narrowed it down to a handful of candidates:

-KCNC Steady
    -Straitline AMP or DeFacto
    -Azonic 420
    -Mosso Pedal 2
    -XPEDO Face Off XMX 13

Can anyone offer their input? The KCNC pedals seemed good because of their Titanium Nitride coated spindle. The selling point of the Straitline models seems to be what they refer to as "Igus iglide bushings". Has anyone had any experience with these that can vouch for them? I have heard mixed reviews here and there about Azonic 420's being solid, but their axles breaking. As for the last two, the Mosso and XPEDO, I have not heard much about at all. I assume because of their low price and two-piece design, that they are crap, but I could be wrong. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's a long pedal thread in All Mountain. I like Azonic Flatirons.

Name:  Azonic flatiron.png
Views: 384
Size:  57.8 KB

Merendon Junkie
    Have you considered shimano saints. Very sturdly built, great grip, good looks and at about $75, cheaper than most of the pedals on your list.

Cheers

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Forte Converts for <$50. Not the lightest out there, and NO color options, but come with replacement threaded pins and work really well. Just a thought.

Picture Unrelated
    Straitline Components does not mess around. The DeFactos are not the thinnest pedal around but they are monsters of grip and monsters of durability. The bushings are brilliant, easy to service (haven't had to replace mine in 3 years) and you can service them in the field with only a screwdriver if you had to for whatever reason.

There's some great pedals out there and there are tons of threads about good flat pedals in the DH and AM sections of the forum.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just ordered a pair of the new Race Face Aeffect platform pedals ($119) for my wife's Superfly FS 6. I may give them a try myself sometime, although I run Shimano XT trail SPDs myself.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Straitline Components does not mess around. The DeFactos are not the thinnest pedal around but they are monsters of grip and monsters of durability. The bushings are brilliant, easy to service (haven't had to replace mine in 3 years) and you can service them in the field with only a screwdriver if you had to for whatever reason.

There's some great pedals out there and there are tons of threads about good flat pedals in the DH and AM sections of the forum.
    i run the strait line defacto pedels i think zebrahum pretty much summed it up
    definitely an awesome pedal.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Have you considered shimano saints. Very sturdly built, great grip, good looks and at about $75, cheaper than most of the pedals on your list.

Cheers
    Second on the Shimano Saints. I just ordered a pair for myself. I've read some good reviews and they look sick, plus I was in need of some good flats. Here's a link to get a pair for $56: Shimano Saint MX80 Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    At first, I wanted green pedals to match the colors on my bike.
    I got orange canfield crampons and couldn't be happier!
    Consider alternatives...