1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Noob question

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Noob question

So I just bought a mountain bike for working out. Thought it would help me shed some pounds, but I'm getting into mountain biking at some local trails and want to know everyone's opinion on my bike. I got it for around $300 at a local store. So far only mods I've done is bar ends and more comfortable saddle. Also I'm having trouble finding bikes in 24" size because I'm a girl and only 5'2. Anyone have any suggestions on bikes for someone my size?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob question-image.jpg  

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Well congrats... did you go to a dept store for her?
    Usually one would get a recommendation on going to a bike shop first to get fitted onto a bike. You could have been riding something a bit more catered to your height rather than one off the shelf.
    Couldn't tell you anything about a 24" other than that is the wheel size.
    Other companies like Trek, Cannondale and others make bikes in more commonly found tire/wheel sizes.. and make bike frames that cater as well to women.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks ya I got it from a dept. store. I live in a small city and we have one bike shop here but all the bikes were like $1,000+ and I was just looking for something to work out on and commute a mile to work. My fear now is that this isn't a good bike to go trail riding.

turtles make me hot
    Don't waste time with 24" wheels. A 14 or 15" frame with 26" wheels will serve you better.
    My buddy's wife is 4'11" and has the smallest full suspension bike Specialized makes in a woman's spec.
    I think my sister in law's friend is 5'3" and she's on a 13" 29er. I had to put a shorter stem and riser bar on it but she loves the ride.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_shel View Post
    Thanks ya I got it from a dept. store. I live in a small city and we have one bike shop here but all the bikes were like $1,000+ and I was just looking for something to work out on and commute a mile to work. My fear now is that this isn't a good bike to go trail riding.
    Use it for exactly that. Commuting. Buy a better bike when you can.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome thanks for the input guys! I also have a question on the back of the frame there is some kind of suspicion attached to the back wheel. Is this bike a full suspension bike?

official eMpTyBRain
    Congrats! Good choice for starters. When you get into the sport a little more, you will be shocked at how nice the more expensive bikes ride and do everything. That's the time to upgrade.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

What could go wrong ...
    yes it is a full suspension bike
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Yes, that would be a full suspension bike... but don't think for a moment that you can safely start riding off large bolders with that suspension.
    When you start looking at expensive bikes and why the suspension is what it is... then you look at the sub $500 full suspension bikes... be weary... very very weary.
    Those bikes are really made to give you a stepping stone..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sweet! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is most likely a sticker on that bike saying it isn't designed for off road .Most shops will let you test ride bikes,some will let you demo for a small fee,some have rentals. Bike companys and some shops have demo days .

mtbr member
    Congrats on entering the sport. Just keep your tire pressure correct and your chain lubed and your shifters tuned. Then keep riding.

When you really get bit by the trail bug, then it's time to look at a real trail-worthy mountain bike. Over the past several years, many of the bike manufacturers have included women specific models in their line. Even so, many had size XS available.

That'd be about right for 5'-2"
    Just get out and ride!