1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

NOOB needs help buying bike

Hi, MTBR citizens

I recently became involved in the sport/activity. I bought my first mountain bike for $100 (bought it used). After doing research I now know I was ripped off. So im in the market for a new bike (I sold the bike for $50). I was looking at a 2005 Devinci Saguaro. Heres a link

BikePedia - 2005 Devinci Saguaro Complete Bicycle

He's selling the bike for $380. Is that a decent price or im i getting ripped off again?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Totally depends on the condition of the bike. I mean lets face it, it's a 7 year old mountain bike. If it has been ridden like a mountain bike is designed to be ridden, it's gonna need some work. Unless the current owner has maintained the bike very well. If it's all original then there are likely things that are just plain going to be worn out.

My suggestion is, if you can test ride the bike, do so. Pay attention to how everything works, or doesn't work as the case may be. Does the bike feel loose, bang, clatter, click, squeal, clunk, does the suspension work smoothly and quietly, etc.

If you can't ride it or at least personally look at the bike, then pass.

The bottom line is, $350 to $380 is reasonable for the bike. However you are buying a 7 year old USED MTB! If you can't look at it and ride it, don't get it. Every thing from the drive train to the suspension components could be flat a$$ed worn out. It totally depends on how the bike was used and maintained.

Your call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the advice

Living the High Life
    Definitely go look at it. And ride it around if you can.

And one thing I tell people is I'd rather ride a $500 hard tail than $1,000 full suspension. A $500 hard tail will come with an OK fork, but add full suspension and despite the increase in price the suspension quality will go down as you increase the complexity. A decent fork will have some damping that will allow the bike to follow the bumps in the trail better. Cheap suspension will bounce around a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm looking to spend about a grand and am trying to find a good break down of all the components of a bike. Can someone people elaborate? I'm getting confused at to what all these terms mean.