1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Noob needing advice

Hey everyone Im new here to the site and I guess you can say Im new to mtn biking since I have been out of it for over 10 years. I currently own just a cheap Mongoose Blackcomb that I bought way back. Right now its just something to ride till I can get a different bike. Which leads me to my next questions I have no clue on where to start on looking for a new bike. And I am gonna have to buy and build the bike piece by piece and of course I am trying to build the best bike I can for the least amount of money possible. I have been looking at used frames on ebay but I have no idea what Im looking at. I am gonna be using the bike strictly for downhill and freeriding and I am not that big of a person. Im 5'5" tall with a 29" inseam and I weight around 135lbs. Which I believe that makes me needs around a 16" frame. Someone please correct me if I am wrong there. What I am looking for is some direction on what frames and parts I should be looking at. I am tryin to come in less than $500 for a used frame and from there I have no clue at what I should be looking at for the rest of the parts. Could anyone start pointing me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 15" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    Very good fork for beginners and decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    whats the total budget? full suspension or hard tail? u could find a kona stinky or similar for $600 on craigslist, building from the frame up might be a money pit if u don't really know what ur looking for, it might get out of hand quick

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 15" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    Very good fork for beginners and decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components.
    +1 on this

I always recommend that to all my beginner friends...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Skill set Im not a beginner fitness and knowledge about the newer bikes and setups Im a beginner. Like I said I been out of it for 10 years. Im almost 40 now so I have had time in the saddle. Also Im not goin with a ridged Im looking for full suspension frames that are suitable for downhill and freeride with a decent amount of travel. And I plan on building it myself for 2 reasons. The first is there is nothing better than building something yourself rather than something that came pre-done up from a factory with what they want on it that your prob gonna just upgraded later. And the second reason is budget I would rather buy a decent part or 2 every month than drop 2 or 3 grand or more all at once. Budget I stated in my first post Im tryin to stay under $500 for a used frame. I figured I could get a few ideas of frames that great for downhill that are in that general used price range. Then I can go from there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is the frame I have had in my ebay watch list but have been reluctant to buy due to lack of knowledge and if it would be suitable for what I wanna do with it.

Astrix Huckster | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    u should post this at the DH forum, but go for it man i believe astrix is a boutique brand comparable to intense or transition (but not sure how hard they are to find replacement parts) but u can always swap frames if u need to, DH bikes doesn't seem to have change that much in the last couple yrs to be honest..all DH bikes gonna be heavy and sturdy, the suspension u buy it's what gonna set it apart $$$...GL

in Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States - photo by vpfreerider - Pinkbike

edit: but then for the money, something like this then replace stuff as needed,..
    Airborne Bicycles. Toxin

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Will you be pedaling uphill at all...or will you be strictly sticking to bike parks and lift accessed downhill? If you'll be pedaling uphill, look at some AM bikes as well since they will be more pleasant on climbs. Most of them are more than adequate to handle gnarly downhill stuff and you being a smaller framed guy, you probably wouldn't do much to hurt one.

Being that you don't really know where to start with parts and whatnot...you're really going to have to do your research and make sure what parts you buy are compatible with whatever frame you get. Read up on headset and steerer tube, bottom bracket, and hub standards among others. Building one from the ground up is rarely the least expensive way to do things.

Your better bet in regards to used bikes is to buy a used bike that is already upgraded with stuff that you like. If you really want to build it, you could disassemble it and do a complete build up.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    +1 on this

I always recommend that to all my beginner friends...
    -2...definitely not an appropriate bike for "strictly for downhill and freeriding" duties the OP was looking for.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Apparently those suggesting the eBay bike did NOT read the OP's request. OP wants a bike strictly for downhill and freeride.

In the future, please read the entire post before you foolishly suggest a bike that is the opposite of what someone is looking for. At that point, you may as well have suggested a carbon tri bike.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1497/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do need to start all over clothes and equipment? or you can start with ordinary things

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Joel Thank you for the link you posted to that Huckster I didnt know about that site. I been looking for frames strictly on ebay on craigslist. And craigslist has not been very good for finding bikes in my area. Seams as if everyone where I live thinks there bikes are worth what they cost new.

And Owens I wont be doing much uphill pedaling even though I dont live anywhere near any bike parks or mountains with lifts. We have to build any trails if we want to ride around here and the ones we have built now you just bomb the runs then throw your bike in the back of a truck and head back to the top or your pushing it back up the hill.

And Thank you to the last 3 guys that posted as well about the ebay bike and really cleared it up that thats not what I would want for downhill.

For a reply about the building of a bike I guess the best way to explain it is like if one of you wanted say a 65 Corvette. But who has the bank account to be able to go out and just buy one completely restored or in mint condition. So Instead you find a body that needs work and piece by piece you rebuild the car till you have the best corvette you could ever ask for. And in the meantime you drive your piece o crap yugo around till its done. It may have cost you twice as much as the car is worth to rebuild it. But now you have something thats completely yours and the smile when you look at it. And thats basically what I am looking to do I am looking to ride my piece o crap goose till I can build something amazing that fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So right after I made my last post I got a call from one of my buddys. We all went riding yesterday and his words were after seeing you get thrown around the trail yesterday Im gonna give you my cannondale super v 900. He said I need to upgrade the suspension but it would be good to bomb around with till I get something built up. So here is my question I know its a older bike but would it be feasible to give it a really good suspension upgrade then be able to switch it all over to whatever new frame I buy. I have my eye on a few cannondale frames on pinkbike Noob needing advice-cannondale.jpg
    This is the bike he is giving me. What could I do for good upgrades that would be switchable to a new frame and what should I change with better parts that wont switch over. any suggestions suspension is the first and foremost that I know needs to be changed I found these forks on pinkbike 2011 Marzocci Bomber 888 RV For Sale and the rear shock thats on it now is blown. Would it be better to replace it with a better shock or rebuild that one.

Yes, that's fonetic
    The suspension on that bike won't be switchable to many other bikes, even newer Cannondales. It's a very short stroke shock (so it'll never be an appropriate shock for any DH or FR bike), and those headset forks are exclusively a Cannondale feature. Even if you could find adapters for it, that Marzzochi fork would be spectacularly inappropriate for that bike.
    Last edited by whodaphuck; 06-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah ok thank you so I would be better off just doing a ok suspension upgrade on the bike enough to get me through. I did a search on the site here about the super v's and I seen some pretty nice upgrades some guys did to theres to make them better. But I didnt find anything as to how well the bike itself would hold up to the abuse of downhill or what should be changed and with what for downhill.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Save your money, ride that thing into the ground, and get the bike that you want. Rebuild the fork for as cheap as possible, and ride the hell out of it.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1497/2500