1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Good job! noob-need a little help

ok so i have been riding bikes forever. but i do mostly all urban/street riding and im going to start ridding trails. my question is what bike should i get? i would be riding at places like bullards bar, in bidwell, oroville ect. should i get a freeride, XC all mountian? also what is the difference between free ride and downhill? i want a bike that is good all around, can climb, go downhill ect. but i do hit jumps, seeing as i ride urban/street i am used to going off of pretty good sized jumps and i want a bike that will be able to take the punishment of jumps and when i drop in. my price range is about 1K., any suggestions? here is what i might be thinking off.....

1)cannondale scapel
    2)cannondale rush
    3)cannondale gemni 900
    4) trek session 77
    5)santa cruz

*mostly looking at used bikes

any and all help is appeciated!

mtbr member
    There is a balance that every bike tries to hit. Some sacrifice climbing ability for suspension and durability, others the other way round.

Free Ride = Ride where ever. Generally speaking bikes in this category have longer travel suspension and more durability the trade off is more weight and less climbing efficiency.

Downhill = Similar to free ride but generally thought of as on "trails" or some sort of designated path. Bikes in this category also lean towards durability and suspension travel over weight and climbing efficiency.

XC = Cross Country. Bikes in this category will generally try to strike the "perfect" balance between climbing and descending capabilities. Users will be willing to give up suspension and "big air" capabilities for climbing efficiency and longer distance "speed". Geometry on this bike will have a tighter head tube angle more suited to quick handling response than "big" bump absorption.

Of course there are bikes that blur all these lines together and most people don't squarely fit into only one category.

You sound like you'd be willing to give up some climbing efficiency for "huckability" in which case you're probably looking more for a DH FR bike, more so than an XC bike.

That being said I'd ride as many models as possible at your LBS before deciding on which one to buy.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thank you for clearing that up! it was a big help!