mtbr member
    Apr 2015

noob and I need help picking between these two bikes

Hello everyone,

I need help choosing between these two bikes at my LBS.

Bike #1-2015 FUJI Nevada 27.5" 1.5.
    Bike #2-2014 TREK Xcaliber7 29"
    the TREK is $100 more than the FUJI

A little background info on me. I used to ride a lot about 16 years. I raced XC a couple of years on a GT LTS 2000. I sold that bike along time ago and started a family. Things are a little slower now and I am a noob all over again. Technology has changed a lot and I do not know squat about todays bikes. I am not going to be racing, I am just looking to get into biking again and enjoying the trails while riding with some friends. I have ridden both of these bikes around a pretty tame single track and they both felt good but at this point with such a big time off, everything feels a little goofy.

So after all of that...What bike do you guys think is the better purchase?

Thanks for your input

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    88 views and nobody has any input between these two bikes? Am I missing something or not asking correctly? I am itching to get one of these two bikes and start riding but I just need someone other than the bike shop workers opinion b/c they keep telling me to move up to the xcal-9 and that is just too far out of my budget right now. So please, give me your opinion between these two bikes so I can feel a little better about the purchase and get out on the trails. thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    People post these comparisons all the time.

Truth is, it's typically a wash. And it's kind of boring to go through a couple near-identical spec lists on bikes I don't think anyone should buy anyway.

You're not a noob. Things actually haven't changed all that much. Since 1999, I think disc brakes on everything and functional rear suspension are about it. Suspension's changed a little - Manitou's market position has eroded, Fox is a little more common, Marzocchi might be a little less common here in the US, RockShox is still all over the place. Also, 100 mm is short travel now.

I don't think $700 was a great retail bike in 1999. Inflation and (supposedly) a change in import duties have made bikes more expensive.

You're more than savvy enough to do better buying a relatively late-model secondhand bike. Give it some thought.

If you must have a new bike, I like 29" wheels for short-travel bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    hey cool, thanks for input.

I like what you said about the 2nd hand bikes but that is another huge change from the old days. There are a bunch of brands out there that I have never heard of that are flooding craigslist and the such.

My LBS has a couple used Treks and Oniners that are $1000+ and I guess I am not ready to make that big of a commitment on a used bike with no warrenty after not being on the trails in such a long time.

keep it coming, I would like to hear some other options/opinions out there. thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go test ride some other bikes ,cheaper and pricier .If you get into riding a lot ,you would most likely be looking to either upgrade one of those bies or replace it. Cheaper to buy once.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out bikepedia.com. They do a pretty good job carrying all the "real" brands. And, you can probably spot a department store bike pretty well anyway, though it would be annoying to waste a trip. Knowing the original MSRP is a good piece of information, I think. You can also find original spec lists, although the manufacturers themselves are doing a better job making their archives of their old sites accessible too. So there's some more legwork up front, but you'll be surprised how quickly you get a handle on things again.

I don't think the warranty on a hardtail is worth much. Here's a reputable frame for under $300.
    https://www.planet-x-usa.com/i/q/FRO...rtical-dropout

You don't want the parts you're going to break on the two bikes you listed. Warranty would just get you more of the same after a few weeks of downtime. So if secondhand gets you something $300 better, that's a pretty good risk.

I don't know if I'd spend $1000 on a secondhand bike. That's kind of an awkward figure. But you started the thread by listing $700 bikes. In the last seven years, I've bought a $100, a $300, and a $450 bike secondhand. I still have the more expensive two. I did actually break the $100 bike, which was a bummer.

You've waited sixteen years to come back, so don't rush into a decision you're not comfortable with.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I think the lack of replies is indeed due to what Andrew indicated: we're getting slammed with similar posts either comparing bikes at a pricepoint, or asking for the "best" bike at a given price.

I'll also echo Andrew again, and repeat what I've been saying in most of my replies: go used. The "best" available bike at budget "X" today is a 1-3 year-old bike that cost "X+$$$" back then. While I understand a bit of hesitation with buying anything used, I see the risk on a bike as pretty low. Consider the nightmarish costs that can pop up on a bad used vehicle - not even in the same cost category as bike repair. People buy used cars all the time.

Also, you have a big advantage in that you used to be a serious rider. If anyone can judge a bike by inspecting it and test riding it, it is you. You will know to ignore some basic fit issues, as you know they can be adjusted and changed later on. So in that respect, you are probably one of the best candidates we've seen here to buy a used bike.

Not sure you mentioned your budget, but I suspect the Fuji is ~$700, so with tax is your budget actually $850 then (given that you'd consider the Trek too)? To me that means you can likely consider used bikes priced as much as $1100-1200 or more given some negotiation. You can also glance at eBay, or pinkbike, and specify a price range. You might find a great deal that isn't overly far, or perhaps you can find inexpensive shipping, or work it into the price.