1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Noob here - 1st of many dumb questions

I have several bikes I need to re-cable. Are shifter and brake cables the same dia, same for housing.

Who are the suppliers for bike parts?

Thanks,
    D

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Different. Replace the housing and ferrules with the cables.
    REI was Novara/Jagwire lined housing with coated stainless cable and plastic ferrules. Derailleur kit 19. Brake kit 19.

mtbr member
    Both cable and housing are different diameters, remember to change the ferrules while at it. You should be able to get kits or just buy the cables and the length of housing that you need if shopping at the LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you're doing several bikes, or are someone that plans to maintain their own bikes over time, I'd go mail order bulk stuff. $38 per bike is crazy - over $100 for just cables on three bikes? For that kind of money, you pick up enough stock to last for years and years.

These can all be found cheaper with some digging around, but just for example:

Probably more shift cable housing than most will need for the foreseeable future, $30. Shimano SP41 Derailleur Housing Black > Components > Cables and Housing > Shifter Cable and Housing | Jenson USA

10 pack shift cables, $13.
    Shimano Zinc Derailleur Cable 10 Pack > Components > Cables and Housing | Jenson USA

Brake housing $21
    Jagwire Brake Housing, Roll/25 > Components > Cables and Housing > Brake Cable and Housing | Jenson USA

Couldn't find small bulk lots of brake cable in a quick search, but you might have better luck. Can get them individually for $2 though...
    Jagwire Basics Brake Cable > Components > Cables and Housing | Jenson USA

Lifetime supply of housing end caps $30
    Jagwire Cable Housing End Caps > Components > Cables and Housing | Jenson USA

Decent cutter is also essential
    Jagwire Incisor Cable and Housing Cutter > Accessories > Tools > Cable Tools | Jenson USA

Personally, I do all of my own wrenching and a good portion of some of my riding buddies' too, so I laid in a good stock about 8 or 10 years ago. Now nobody I know pays for cables, and I regularly find 'extra' beer in my garage fridge. "Win-win".

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sure do a hundred bikes and that's kinda expensive $3800.
    Oh well bikes do cost money. Save money and just do the derailleurs with the $19 kit.
    Shifting like butter on lower grade components does impact your riding experience. A small amount extra for a big upgrade in feel. The amount of thumb pressure to shift up is reduced a lot. Down shifts flick quick.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
    For using the kit use good cutters as listed above. Superglue the area to be cut. Round the cut end on 600 grit or so sandpaper to protect the housing lining from a sharp end.. Add a small amount of silicone lube to the housing. The best shifting is from a continuous run front to back with only two ferrules.
    Cheap out on the brakes.
    Unless you want awesome mechanical braking.
    Housing is offered in bulk to save money if you're doing multiple bikes. Slick coated cables separately.