1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: noob dilemma

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

noob dilemma

I need some advice as to what I should do...I found this relatively local LBS which gave me a steal on my kona blast. I told them I wanted to go clipless and they recommended (knowing I am a noob) some wellgo pedals. before you tell me "search", I have searched, and searched, and read, and read and it seems like there are some pretty good wellgo pedals...but it seems as though it's hit or miss, i've read some great reviews, and some terrible reviews. I am actually in a pretty good financial situation right now and i actually have the money to spend on some 50-70 dollar pedals, but after he suggested that i go with wellgos, i hate to be like well I don't want those I want some better ones, i feel rude. how should i go about this, or should i just stick with the wellgos? He assures me they are good pedals so i feel like i am undermining his knowledge if i don't go with 'em, but I'm scared they could be a miss with me and a waste of 25 bucks (not a lot but i HATE to waste money, none of that lesson learned BS here) sorry for the long post thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i think u should tell them how u feel. like "hmmm, i saw these shimano clipless and they seem pretty comfy to me" u dont want to buy something that u not gonna use or like. maybe they just recommend them cuz they trying to get rid of it, nah j/k. but dont get something u no like just to make someone else feel good. they're not gonna use it , u are!!!

abby

ride hard take risks
    As said above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yeah i mean I'm not so concerned about brand and it's not that i dont like wellgos, i just have heard VERY mixed reviews, and i'm a pretty big guy (215 lbs) i'm really just worried about reliability

ride hard take risks
    Tell the sales person whats on your mind & you would preffer something of better quality.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...nd+Straps.aspx