1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Noob, desperately needing (of course) Help

So I am completely New to this world, and man, there is a lot of stuff to learn. I made another post earlier, about worst wrecks of 2012, mine was on a Hayabusa (motorcycle) and 6 months later, I still am having significant brain issues...but I am doing my best to learn this world, as I am dedicated to becoming involved in it...consistently, just not very far at a time. I read the glossary terms..and I will do my best here...but please be a little forgiving..I know noobs get hazed a lot..that's cool..but some actual help would be awesome.

I have absolutely tons of questions being interested in this for about a week now lol, but I will do my best to keep them to a minimum.

First question..is Yeah..I am a beginner..and I don't have a ride yet. That is my First priority, and seeing as it is well below freezing around here (30min NW of Columbus) I am guessing there will be some anxious stores hoping to sell things...I just don't know what Thing I am looking for. This is strictly for fitness/fun/save the world from gas guzzlers/and more fun!

I am about 6'3, 215lbs, I think I would like a 29'er and carrying up to 20lbs on backpack, until I find a way to mount stuff to the bike. (I checked out that forum, I can get all I need, on the bike itself, and off me...eventually. I won't lie...Cost is an issue...I am on a fixed, low income! Being disabled, I would like a full suspension bike.

First, I will be taking this to town, Usually the back way...which means through multiple fields, plowed, rarely flat, weeds, then through..I'm not real sure..maybe a mile of woods..a 12ft pretty steep (at least when walking, sorry, haven't peddled in over 10yrs when I had a stroke, and not much before then!) through a shallow (8in) creek, or after rains, I can head across a road bridge if needed. Up the other 12ft creek bed, through another woods, and then through a few more fields before I hit town. At that point, I have no choice except roads, ditches, and sidewalks for about mile. (On days I am lazy, it would be a 5 mile commute strictly by road) Of course, some days, there are errands, but my entire city, is probably smaller then a 5 mile diameter. The Most I see myself on Paved roads, is probably about 15 miles in any given day. Eventually, if I get comfortable, and have fun doing this..I will start heading to bike paths, and getting more serious (so upgradeable?) I have ZERO plans of group rides, or races.

I know going to walmart, is NOT a good idea...so even if I buy from an online store, i am OK with that. My city has no bike store, closest is 20min away, (but I don't know how good they are, they look pretty small.)

I am Not scared of maintenance...although I would rather not be wrenching every other day.

I know, I know...Quality, and Price...typically don't go together. Even worse with a full suspension? but there Has to be some sales out there? I don't need the newest..just something Rock Solid build quality. Considering I am Not going to be riding long distances at a time..a front suspension only would probably work, as my hands are my weakest link

If Possible..if the Prices and Quality are all the same..I would buy American over foreign, but I AM a realist...and doubt that's possible anymore. I truly don't know if I will like this, or if I am even physically able to do this..so the first bike...if it could be $500 or under...that would be killler...$1000 max though. I don't care about name brand, I am going to repaint it anyways! Just as long as it is Quality.

Specifically, I have been looking at 2 sites really, (If they have requirements, I would still qualify.) I just imagine them being Very solid and Very reliable, they all are within my price range. Then I found the last site, and it looks like it has some pretty good deals, I just don't know how good the bikes would be?
    policebikestore
    4bike-police
    bikesdirect
    I like that Montague paratrooper folding bike from the first site! Talk about easy to put in my suburban!

I also like the
    Diamondback 2013 Recoil 29'er Full Suspension Mountain Bike

bikesdirect, Appears to have what I am looking for, but I don't know if they are any good. I don't know about name brands? (Honestly, don't care, as long as it works well)

I must admit..I have also looked at walmart..they have a 29'er, full suspension..for barely over $200. (29" Mongoose Ledge 3.1 For being unsure...that's tempting....but I would rather buy from Bike's Direct and spend slightly more...for what seems better bikes? So, I really need some advice please!

Thanks

Sorry guys...I am just a noob.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most department "bikes" are one size,a size that is too small for you. That also a problem with mail order you won't know how it fits until you buy it. there's a q&a form around on this forum you should read it and answer the q's. For the money that you are thinking of spending there is a large difference in quality.For 1000$ you can get a nice hardtail .With in a price point bikes are petty much the same.I'd stay away from the folding bike if you want ride on trails ,one more thing to go wrong /break.

Owner Epic Biking
    Sounds like an awesome commute. I do something similar. By road it is about 6 miles, but taking my all dirt routes I can easily get it to be double that.

Check out your small bike shop. I own a small bike shop and I would think like me the people that work there are working there because they love biking, and will help you all they can. If they are like me in the sales on bikes is in the late fall, when the new bikes have come out and we are trying to make room for them by getting rid of the current bikes. Every year I get people in the Spring asking for deals on last years bikes. Usually it is too late because I have already sold the prior years bikes. For me late Oct early Nov and Jan are the slowest months, so it is always nice to move bikes during those times. $500 to $1000 should be able to get you a good quality hardtail that will handle your ride. For a full suspension it is best to not go too cheap. A cheap full suspension bike will not hold up. I know Giant has a full suspension (Yukon FX) that you should be able to get for just under $1000, but going to the Trance X that starts at around $1,500 is well worth the price difference if you can afford it.
    www.epicbiking.com
    Biked to the South Pole, check it out at:
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    For a full suspension it is best to not go too cheap. A cheap full suspension bike will not hold up. I know Giant has a full suspension (Yukon FX) that you should be able to get for just under $1000, but going to the Trance X that starts at around $1,500 is well worth the price difference if you can afford it.
    As someone who works in mechanical design ... I can honestly say this is absolutely true !!!

Best of luck, OP
    You'll eventually find what you want/need ... Just don't make any quick decisions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    From what Ive seen so far being newer at this like you, you may actually be better with a hard tail for your price range. It all depends on personal preference so what ever you take a liking to is what you should get.

mtbr member
    I wish you well in your recovery. Brain issues or not, your thinking is clearer than most and you express yourself really well.

My advice? Get a hardtail and ride the piss out of it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Yeah, I was in the same boat a while back. Of course we all want a full sus. at first but once we get pointed in the right direction by the regulars around here things start to make sense.

There are so many things to learn that you realize that throwing suspension settings into the mix just makes it harder. Being a n00b means having to start from scratch. I was an old school MTBer so I'd have to learn about things all over again. No more cantilever brakes or oval chainrings. Now on to disc brakes and sus. forks.

One thing that someone pointed out to me is that by buying something cheaper means it wont hurt so bad to screw something up. Hows it gonna feel when you cut your steerer tube too short on a $600 Fox fork? Thats what the forums are here for. Just keep reading and learning.

Heres a link to the Motobecane (BikesDirect) forum. Motobecane - Mtbr Forums
    Most seem happy w/ them and their components are better than anything at that price point. Good luck!

Edit- I dont know about thos police bikes or folding bikes. Seems like a bad idea to me. If you plan to go off roading you'll want something thats designed for that purpose.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Owner Epic Biking
    For the most part when it comes to bikes you get what you pay for. Motobecane is no exception to the rule. I work as a mechanic on bikes all day, and have worked on a good share of Motobecanes. If you take your time and look at them you can see where they cut corners to keep the price down. I'm not saying they are bad bikes, but just that they are about what would be expected for a bike at the price they sell for.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Wanting a 29er, with full suspension, is not going to play well with your statement of being in low income. As a rule of thumb, a quality full suspension bike canít be had until youíre around the $1k mark, and even then it will be specíd with low end parts. But that money will get you a respectable hardtail. If I were as tall as you, Iíd certainly look into 29erís, as they would better match your proportions.

If youíre riding into town and back, will the bike get locked up somewhere? Will a flashy bike attract thieving eyes? Things to think about.

Another online seller to throw into the mix is Airborne. They give a lot of value for their cost, by all accounts.

Hereís a tip to save you from a needless crash, no matter what bike you end up getting. When cornering on a mountain bike, lean the bike below you in turns, and keep yourself upright. On your Hayabusa, you weigh less than the bike, so you have to lean off the bike to drag it down into a corner. On a bicycle, you weigh more than the bike, so if you try the same thing, your tires will wash out before you realize whatís happened.

Welcome and hope you have a speedy recovery

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For the most part when it comes to bikes you get what you pay for. Motobecane is no exception to the rule. I work as a mechanic on bikes all day, and have worked on a good share of Motobecanes. If you take your time and look at them you can see where they cut corners to keep the price down. I'm not saying they are bad bikes, but just that they are about what would be expected for a bike at the price they sell for.
    Where do they cut corners?

mtbr member
    Some parts will be low end but no big deal i guess. To the OP, hardtail all the way imo.

Owner Epic Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Some parts will be low
    Yes, mixing low end parts that get less attention with high end parts that give a false impression of an over all better bike.

One good example was a guy that bought a Moto road bike with carbon frame and dura-ace components. He had me put it together for him out of the box. When he dropped it off I asked how much he figured it would weigh (yes weight is a big part of why you buy a dura-ace bike). Of course he expected it to be in line with what a nice bike would weigh. However after putting it together and weighing the bike it was heavier than a good 105 equipped bike would weigh. Why? because although it had some nice high end dura-ace components on it the frame was not high quality, and a lot of the parts on the bike were low end, heavy parts. Also the ride quality of the frame (stiffness, comfort, handling) was not comparable to what a quality frame would provide. It worked out good for him, but after a year or so he sold it and got a Scott that had quality throughout the bike and was much happier.

Again, I'm not trying to bash the bikes sold over the internet, it's just that you need to realize that even though they throw on some nice components to make it look good, it doesn't mean you are getting a killer deal.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

Owner Epic Biking
    I should add, as an owner of a bike store I definitely have a biased view point. But it also means I have seen this story play out many times, and while the details of the story change the essence of the story remains the same.
    www.epicbiking.com
    GoFundMe
    blog
    Facebook page

mtbr member
    Yea lol, I see a XTR drivetrain set-up with a ton of other junk on it and a tear comes to my eye!
    Don't kill a good xtr build or xo/xx with junk. Or a fox/sid fork etc with a junk drivetrain,brakes,wheelset
    etc as an example. Q_Q

mtbr member
    I've thought about getting one from there more than once, and upgrading the low-end stuff...
    but I just can't seem to sell myself on the framesets yet.

mtbr member
    I should add, as an owner of a bike store I definitely have a biased view point. But it also means I have seen this story play out many times, and while the details of the story change the essence of the story remains the same.
    +1 on your rep bro!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Visit an LBS near you. Get fit properly for a bike and test ride as many as you can. Comfort is most important or you won't enjoy the bike.

Also consider a used bike. For the same amount of money, you can get a pretty good value. I've found really nice used 2011 full suspension bikes for under $700 with good quality components, etc. Some bike shops even provide free servicing and warranties on their used bikes.

-S

No Stranger to danger....
    OP, i wish you well in your recovery, on the foldup bike, i would stay away from any foldups, buy a real bike, and at 235lbs geared up, i would suggest a decent quality hard tail for the price your looking at.
    cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Wēk SŰs
    A hard tail would work, but if you're mostly on paved trails look at a rigid. You might be able to find a used old bike as well. I have a 1990 Rockhopper, that I still use now and then. I ride trails like you describe just fine, it's also my single speed, but it's been through many different forms, off-road to roadie, and back. Suspension allows more speed and comfort, but adds weight and maintenance.

mtbr member
    Yea, a folding bike is really for boaters and RV'rs who need to stash it on board or on a cargo rack
    when they travel and then pedal around town when the arrive at docks or campsites etc.
    I like a HT when the trail gets tough, but my full rigid is way better on the road and will still do most
    trails that are'nt really extreme just as well. Too much bike than what you need only makes it harder
    instead of easier. Also the same goes for not enough bike than what you need.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Yea, a folding bike is really for boaters and RV'rs who need to stash it on board or on a cargo rack
    when they travel and then pedal around town when the arrive at docks or campsites etc.
    I like a HT when the trail gets tough, but my full rigid is way better on the road and will still do most
    trails that are'nt really extreme just as well. Too much bike than what you need only makes it harder
    instead of easier. Also the same goes for not enough bike than what you need.
    Heh... if I have an RV, the bike would easily fit on the roof.
    =

-S

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just wanted to post back up again, and say Thank You, for all of the info. It has helped me I still am researching..and will at least go to the semi-local bike shop before ordering anything. I don't mind used..but I don't know enough to buy used online...and buying used from dealers, when I know nothing about the world pretty much...sounds disastrous....just from the aspect of the motorcycle world...referring to dealerships as Stealer-ships..and Knowing the insane things they do.

I also wanted to say Thank you, for the compliments about me personally, and my recovery. It did take me over 2 days to write all of that...but at least it ended up looking respectable! Thank you though, it does mean a lot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Heh... if I have an RV, the bike would easily fit on the roof.
    =

-S
    Watch out for the low bridge! lol
    I guess on a boat I would just hook a paddle wheel up to it.
    My bike is the closest thing to an RV I'll ever get lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Also, I haven't fully explored the site...is there a recommended dealer area by location? So I can Know I am going to a good store, and not get ripped off? I mean Any time I hear or See a Number...I am confused, which makes this entire process a real challenge. An "Approved" local dealer would help things out.

Or, if anyone knows a good shop Specifically around me?, I am in Marysville..close to Delaware, I have seen a couple stores there, and NW Columbus, if I can find a ride.

Thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast