1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cow Clicker
    Do a search for a local MTB or road bike club. They should be able to steer you in the direction of a trustworthy shop.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Hermit
    Fellow Ohioan here, though I'm up in the NE corner. Welcome to the mtb world!

If you're wanting local advice you should try the new Ohio mtb site as well as MTBR:

Ohiosingletrack.com Forums

You can ask the guys on the COMBO (Central Ohio Mountain Bike Organization) forum there - they're in your neck of the woods.

And keep Alum Creek State Park in mind when you're ready to hit the dirt. They have some easier trails, harder trails and a skills park.

Best of luck recovering from the head injury. Had one myself, but it sounds like it was nothing compared to yours. Much positive karma sent your way.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    But a used hardtail and save money. Ride it for a season. If you fall in love with the sport spend more money on a nicer bike next year. You accomplish two big things this way:

1. You get to try MTB without a big purchase. If you don't like it you're not out that much money.

2. If you love it and want a bike next year you'll know what you want or which direction to go on a new purchase.

Don't rush. The worst thing is realize that you spent a hunk of hard earned money on something you don't like.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danballa View Post
    Also, I haven't fully explored the site...is there a recommended dealer area by location? So I can Know I am going to a good store, and not get ripped off? I mean Any time I hear or See a Number...I am confused, which makes this entire process a real challenge. An "Approved" local dealer would help things out.

Or, if anyone knows a good shop Specifically around me?, I am in Marysville..close to Delaware, I have seen a couple stores there, and NW Columbus, if I can find a ride.

Thanks a lot
    If you can't get advice on a shop just do what I did. Go to a few of them when it's crowded... like a Saturday. When asked, just say you're looking. Just listen to the salesman/shop tech and how they talk to the other customers. It was easy for me. Some shops the customer asked the questions. The one I chose had the salesmen answering the questions before they could even ask them.See if they're trying to talk them into a "good deal" or out of a bad one.Did they made the customer happy? Did they try to throw in a few extra goodies at a reduced cost? When I bought my bike I got a discount for buying all the other stuff like a camelback, tool, spare tire, helmet, gloves.

Cow Clicker
    Bike shops and any other higher ticket item should begin with a series of questions from the sales person. If they go straight into the pitch, you are being sold. If they spend time to understand your objectives and goals, you are being served.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Bikes Direct will be a very good price - no name frame but potentially good components. Good Value, no service.

Walmart - Stay away unless you don't care about ride quality, and only have 200 bucks. Even there though, I'd spend that 200 bucks on craigslist and get much more bike.

Local Bike Shop - This season especially I think you could find something for 30% ish off retail, and get a good bike for 800-1000. Plus, you can get great service from your LBS, where if you buy it online you will either have to service it yourself, or pay your lbs to work on it. If you buy it from them, some shops offer a free tune up, or even 1 year free service. (If you were in Salt Lake we could take care of you. We even have some great 29ers for sale, but especially since you're new, I'd recommend you stay local and develop a good relationship with your lbs.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbeagle View Post
    I should add, as an owner of a bike store I definitely have a biased view point. But it also means I have seen this story play out many times, and while the details of the story change the essence of the story remains the same.
    I have been thinking about this comment for days, and I Still haven't figured out what you mean by it...or someone else who supported the comment or something? If anyone knows..can you please explain? I am like 2 weeks into even thinking about peddle bikes, and I haven't figured out how things work. I would like to know how the "story plays out"?

I am not attempting to be rude, or disrespectful to anyone..I Like this forum..I honestly just don't understand it, and am just tired of Wondering what it means, so the only way to Know..is to ask.

If it's a bad thing, and you don't want to post it up publicly, please, just message me directly. I dunno..that comment just Stuck with me.

Thanks..and best wishes to all...it's a good day..

mtbr member
    From reading his posts, I believe he is saying the practice of making a low or medium quality bike look better by adding a few visible high-end parts happens routinely. The bike models will change, the particular parts mix may change, but the "story play out many times".

He implies that one should carefully consider ALL the components when comparing one bike to another.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    danballa,

May I suggest taking someone with you to help with some of your needs? Wife? Friend? Brain injuries suck and take a long time to recover from. I have epilepsy from one at birth. My last hard crash left me with a concussion for 7 weeks and I was out of it the entire time. If communication/driving/understanding is hard, someone to back you up will really help. That way you aren't on overload.

Head up to a shop and just take a look around. Don't worry about buying anything, just try a few bikes out and see what you like. Not knowing the extent of your injury make sure the bike is easy to use. Take your time and go at your pace. Don't forget you need a brain bucket to go with that bike once you decide something.

I still feel the effects of that concussion almost a year later and it sucks. You don't realize how much your brain does until parts of it don't work. Sometimes my coordination is off while riding and I get lost in what people are saying at times. That brain bucket saved my life though.

Let us know if you find something. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks a lot for the great advice everyone. Understanding/communication is difficult, unless it is written, where I can delete, and I am able to Re-read things when I forget. God I love texts! I have saved every text from every important person, ever since I got the phone..I often have to go back and re-read things. I also got in the habit of recording calls, so I can listen to them again.

Brain bucket? At this point...I'm tempted to wear another full face motorcycle one, along with the kevlar suit for when I fall, because I Will fall..without question

I would gladly buy craigslist, but there are just So many dishonest people out there, and I just don't want it breaking. I Was a certified motorcycle/atv/jetski mechanic, so I should be able to work on them...I'll just have to bring it inside, since my garage isn't heated. The few people I know who peddle...basically have said...I know enough how to ride mine. I'll get this figured out, it's just When.

Thanks for the explanation of the comment I didn't understand. It kept sounding like an insult to me, where everyone Else has seemed so nice and helpful..and it just didn't make sense to me, so Thanks for that.

Definite thanks for the referral towards the COMBO forum...that sounds like a Great option to me!

Again, I thank Everyone who has helped with any type of comment..You guys are great, and really are helping me out! I Only wish I had more time...Actually..i have Tons of Time...I Only wish I had more Time that my eyes worked where I could read, without the blurriness and horrible headaches.

Best wishes everyone!

mtbr member
    Shop owners just have a hard time seeing places like bikes direct get so much business when all they do is source cheap frames from Taiwan / China, then ship bikes out to consumers who aren't ready to assemble them on their own and they end up in the local shops anyways for repairs, or even completing the assembly of the bikes. This might be what he was referring too.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewagon View Post
    Shop owners just have a hard time seeing places like bikes direct get so much business when all they do is source cheap frames from Taiwan / China, then ship bikes out to consumers who aren't ready to assemble them on their own and they end up in the local shops anyways for repairs, or even completing the assembly of the bikes. This might be what he was referring too.
    Big shout out to bikewagon.com...both website and ebay site.
    Keep up the good work.

zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2