1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

NooB and Craigslist

Hey everyone, I've been reading on the forum quite a bit, ton of great info,and photos!
    so I've been trying to decide if I want to get into this and get some exercise,but don't want to jump in and spend a ton of cash and then decide its not happening... So I've been looking at CL to see if I could find a starter bike to see how it goes. Found two so far I did some research on both but could use some opinions. So here it is:

Custom Mountain Bike
    this bike is about 10 years old but not abused, here is the other one:
    Cannondale super V this one is even older but once again I'm not planing on using these for any major crazy trails

Interplanetary Poultry
    You links aren't working for me.
    I remember the Super V. Assuming it's well maintained it should be fine for cross country riding. At least, my rose colored NostalgiaŽ glasses tell me it was a cool ride. Knowing your budget and area might help however. . . . .
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok let's. Try that again lol I'm in central AZ. Would like to keep it around 500$. So I figured if I spent 300on the bike and replace any minor things I would stay within the 500. Here is the link again http://prescott.craigslist.org/bik/3987903665.html
    And the other one
    http://prescott.craigslist.org/bik/3912335840.html
    So please be brutally honest, thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This new bike is $419 delivered. Yes, you would need an upgrade fork for $200 shipped from Nick at Suntour if you decide to ride difficult/fun trails. Until then the components are Shimano mid range Alivio/Deore. These are fine.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    All right, so I went and test drove the above voodoo frame bike and bought it 10 minutes later! This bike is sick! I couldn't be happier. hopefully I can say this agin in a week ha ha will post and update in a few