1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, this is really an in-depth discussion of bike geometry. So it boils down to what you what to do with the bike that geometry comes into play. Depending on the terrain too. Thank you very much for indulging this noob! Rep coming in!

Cow Clicker
    I wish I could edit my original post, but cannot. I made the statement that XTR Race is less durable than XTR trail and that is not entirely true. XTR Race and Trail are, for the most part, exactly the same in durability, except for the rims. Some might argue that the XTR is more durable than most, or all other groups. The point of my original statement was that the XTR chainrings, chain and cassette are wear items and will eventually need to be replaced. The cost to replace these items is twice the cost of XT. For example, a new set of XTR chainrings is more expensive than buying a whole new XTR crankset.

If you are new and aren't very smooth with shifting, a high performance, lightweight, expensive drivetrain will be an expensive place to start.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

In the market.

So here I am bike less... Although I just rode at deer lakes park here in Pittsburgh pa, but that was on a 90's model diamondback ascent. Sketchy I know, I used to have a nice specialized rock hopper disc comp pro. Didn't last long got stolen. Anywho to the point lost one of my jobs I need to buy a new bike or well newer. I really have limited funds, so looking for something decently priced that can take a pounding. I was looking and knolly, specialized, and a few others. I just need some help I would prefer a 29er. Please just let me know.

Peace, J.

Cow Clicker
    If cash is tight and you just want to get on the trail, I'd research your local MTB clubs. I'd be willing to bet a lot of members will be buying themselves a new bike for the holiday. Let them know your plight and they might sell you their old bike for a song knowing it will be going to a club member with good intentions.

My best advice is, do not buy a bike with a credit card. If you must buy new, online factory direct will be best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconrider View Post
    So here I am bike less... Although I just rode at deer lakes park here in Pittsburgh pa, but that was on a 90's model diamondback ascent. Sketchy I know, I used to have a nice specialized rock hopper disc comp pro. Didn't last long got stolen. Anywho to the point lost one of my jobs I need to buy a new bike or well newer. I really have limited funds, so looking for something decently priced that can take a pounding. I was looking and knolly, specialized, and a few others. I just need some help I would prefer a 29er. Please just let me know.

Peace, J.
    I'm riding an entry level big box Diamondback of the same era through similar level terrain. Bike has been solid as a brick, even if it isn't going to impress anyone, including me.

Tweak it to a perfect fit. Play with the tire pressure and get it dialed in. Save your money and keep riding until you can buy something decent instead of settling. Remember, people were riding those trails 15 years ago on bikes like that and were having a ****ing blast.

I am glad I saved my money. I was ready to settle for some cheap POS bikes. But there is nothing wrong with the diamondback. It rides. With the right tires pressure, it even floats over the sand decently. It climbs like a ton of bricks, making me stronger. Plus, no one is going to steal it

When you do save up enough for a decent ride, the FIRST thing you do is register it. Make sure you have personal property coverage on your homeowners or renter's insurance. If you don't have insurance, get it. It's cheap, and will cover all your ****. If another nice bike (or anything in your home) is stolen, file a police report and the insurance will replace it for a (usually) minor deductible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Really appreciate you two throwing out the knowledge. Thanks a ton. I know a lot of riders around here. So I will put the word out. Thanks WMAC.

I do know diamond backs a great bike. This bike did what I needed it to but it was a loaner for the ride and I really need to get it back to Rapps. I really appreciate your help too bikemaya. But I do need something. Especially now that I've been bitten harder by the bug than ever before. So thanks guys a ton.

Peace, J.

Cow Clicker
    Thanks and you're welcome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice guide, lot of new things to me.
    thanks and merry Christmas !

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great guides! Definitely influenced my thoughts during my recent bike-finding journey. Took my new ride out in the snow today and am very happy. Thanks!

Cow Clicker
    Glad to help!

Cow Clicker
    Let me know if there are any Noob or Beginner Topics you'd like to have explained further

duh
    so how does one make this a sticky.

I just want to know how the : MTBR Word Association Game became a sticky and not this
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.

Cow Clicker
    Not sure.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    thanks for the advice, wmac.

Cow Clicker
    Anyone want to add anything to this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the in depth write up on the geometry, forks, petals, and parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

41 fat diabetic smoker slow rider.

i'm 5'11 250lbs. crashed my trek 820 so many times. picking scabs everyday. mtb is the ONLY form of exercise i can get excited about. i've been doing single track around southern arizona for a month now and i'm stoked. i can already tell a huge difference in my lung capacity, endurance and ability. cleaning some technical parts that i had to walk when i started. i've called to several bike shops, i will buy local, but these guys seem too preoccupied to chat on the phone. i'm a local celebrity so i'm hesitant to go into a bike shop to inquire for so many different reasons. namely pressure to buy so i can talk about the particular shop. i'm trying to do the research so i can just go buy the bike that makes sense. so here's the deal, i'm slow as molasses, total newb, want to ditch the trek and get on a 29er. i could go mass production or boutique i could go 500 or 5000$ on a 29er. so far i'm leaning 29er steel ht. but i wanna do what's right and what makes sense for me at this very early point in my riding. i'm a father of two young boys so this is about growing the eff up and getting healthy so i can be around for my little dudes. thanks for reading and thanks for any advice. cheers, frank

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrinsley View Post
    i'm 5'11 250lbs. crashed my trek 820 so many times. picking scabs everyday. mtb is the ONLY form of exercise i can get excited about. i've been doing single track around southern arizona for a month now and i'm stoked. i can already tell a huge difference in my lung capacity, endurance and ability. cleaning some technical parts that i had to walk when i started. i've called to several bike shops, i will buy local, but these guys seem too preoccupied to chat on the phone. i'm a local celebrity so i'm hesitant to go into a bike shop to inquire for so many different reasons. namely pressure to buy so i can talk about the particular shop. i'm trying to do the research so i can just go buy the bike that makes sense. so here's the deal, i'm slow as molasses, total newb, want to ditch the trek and get on a 29er. i could go mass production or boutique i could go 500 or 5000$ on a 29er. so far i'm leaning 29er steel ht. but i wanna do what's right and what makes sense for me at this very early point in my riding. i'm a father of two young boys so this is about growing the eff up and getting healthy so i can be around for my little dudes. thanks for reading and thanks for any advice. cheers, frank
    Frank: can't make a good recommendation without more information. SOP is post enough to start your own thread, answer all the questions in the guide and we can make a good recommendation.

Your experience and mechanical ability will determine a lot.

Sno
    mtbr member
    WOW great information.

IMHO your LBS is the way to go, they can help with fit and some even have some bikes at a great value. specially towards the end of the year and early Jan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks wmac great info!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey, can I ask you some questions about bike brands?

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Necktie Killer View Post
    Hey, can I ask you some questions about bike brands?
    Sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just ran through this thread, (I wouldn't call myself a noob, but I thought I might be able to help answer a question or two, and maybe even learn something while I'm at it)

wmac really has gone out of his way to provide solid, non-biased, useful information. Hats off to him! everybody should give him positive REP for these posts, and his great attitude, mtbr needs more posters like this!

As for Frank, let us know more of what you've got on your mind. Good info in, generally means good info back out! For light Trail/fitness, you can't beat a fat bike! Also it would probably fit with your larger than life in your face personality (on-air, I can't make recommendations for you off-air cause well, we've never met) I love riding mine because it is soooo much fun, It's by far not the most capable bike for my environment but it is fun, and a helluva workout, not to mention it turns lots of heads!

Here's a picture someone took of me giving a tour a few months back on my pugsley. Thats the outlet of the San Antonio River flood control tunnel in the background, Thats a different story...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Useful info, thank you.

Cow Clicker
    Thanks mj and you're welcome kuranei!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast