1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

noob brakes trouble

I've been riding for a while(more consistently recently) and it's now time for some maintainance. My V-brakes started squeeling and loosing traction recently so i went to the LBS today after my ride and picked up a pair of Kool-Stop Eagles to see if i liked them. After trying to install them up front, i realized that i couldnt fit my tires in anymore
    so after that i tried sticking um on back, which fit, but it wouldnt stop the bike . so after that i adjust what i could, and still no luck. aside from that my front brakes(which i switched from the back) work fine except for the fact that it rubs on a certain spot of the wheel(which probably means its warped

can someone please help me get these worked out?

There's no app for this.

easy fix, common problem

deflate the tire, put the brakes in place, re-inflate tire. Jim

BTW, you are releasing the cantilever cable at the crimped stopper aren't you? If not, that's the 1st thing to do.

pain don't hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage
    ... except for the fact that it rubs on a certain spot of the wheel(which probably means its warped

can someone please help me get these worked out?
    This means that your rim is slightly out of true. This can be corrected at a LBS, or if you're feeling bold you can do it too. As far as the installation goes, make sure you're releasing the brake cable so it 'opens' the brake arms. This should be enough clearance for the tire to pass through when you install your wheel.

Check out park's site for excellent (and free) repair advice:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=21
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    thanks for the linky turbo.
    as for deflating the tire, that is something i would rather avoid having to do on a constant basis because i constantly remove the wheels to fit the bike into the car(which is probably why the brakes arent working)

and yes i have been releasing the brake line everytime i remove my tires and also for the repair. the problem is, when i release the brake arm it doesnt go as open as it used to because the pads are really thick

thanks for the quick reply guys

Domestic Fowl
    Sometimes you can rearrange the spacers to get a little more room. You want smaller spacers between the brake pad and the brake arm. This will give you more room when you unhook the cable and spread the brake arms to remove the tire. If you cannot rearrange your spacers to do this, you can probably get some thinner ones at your bike shop.

FRC

PS You'll have to readjust the cable length after doing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images