1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Noob brake buying question

Hey I have a quick question regarding buying/upgrading disc brakes. This is more for curiosity at this point.

When I am shopping on a site like Price Point or looking on eBay at brake set ups, some are showing just the levers/calipers and others show levers/hoses/calipers/discs/etc.

Typically, how are brake systems sold - both with calipers/pads and without? Is this the major difference between products when purchasing brakes?

Hopefully this isn't confusing. I guess I'm just trying to find out if levers ALWAYS come with calipers, and then some systems also include discs/pads. If I ever decide to upgrade I'd hate to leave anything out. Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    You can buy levers separate from full disc brake sets. Be careful, if the price looks too good to be true, it's probably just a partial set. Read the description of the product, email the seller, etc.