1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Noob asking for bike recommendations

Hey all. First post here and I'm super excited that I found this site. I just recently got into riding. Long story short...bad bike wreak in Jr High and didn't touch a bike till college, turned down every offer to go mountain biking with my friends as the image of my wreak still had me scared. Got over it and now ready to do some riding.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations on models that I need to give a look at. Not planning on doing anything too crazy. No way am I going to go flying off a cliff or do steep declines/inclines etc. I'm in this to catch up on all the male boding time I missed over the years and see some beautiful county in the process.

I currently have a really cheap Mongoose full suspension that I've been using just to prove the idea to myself. So I'm in desperate need of an upgrade.

So, I'm about 6 ft 205lbs, my inseam is 32". I'm looking for a 29er with disc brakes, I'd rather have a hardtail. I have no brand affinity and my budget is $500-1100 (I could go a bit higher if that will really make a difference in quality), I'd like to get something more MID level than entry to allow me to grow in to the bike so to speak, I'm looking for new or used, and I'd like to get a really great bike so that I don't have to sell and trade up soon.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

echos

mtbr member
    see if you can find a 2013 model, i picked up a Specialized Carve comp 2013 for 1200 normally 1650 i think

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    At the upper end of that budget you can get some good used bikes and a few decent new ones too.What I would recommend is going to your some of your lbs getting properly sized for a bike and riding a few to see what feels right and what you want to look for in a bike.Maybe go ride with some of your friends on their bikes.But most importantly you need to get a bike that fits you right and one that every time you see it you want to go ride.You will never be able to enjoy riding on a bike that's to small or to big or just isn't right for you. Don't rush into the first thing that comes along that you might like,look around and try to find "that one".After all that's part of the fun finding a bike that you enjoy and one you that will get you out on the trails and enjoying yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your money will always go farther with used, but there are also advantages to buying at a shop.

See if any of your local shops do demos. Also hit up your friends that ride for advice and if any of them are roughly your size, see if you can steal their bikes for a test ride. You're spending enough money that you will have a lot of good choices available; try to throw a leg over a bunch of bikes and see which ones feels right to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the advise Sparky. We only have one small LBS in town, I visited there a few months back before buying the mongoose on craigslist for a whopping $50. I plan on going back this week and see what they have and pick their brains a bit. And I'm in no hurry, but I hope to find something in the next two to three months.

are there any specific models in that price range that I should be certain to check out? (Definitely going to check out Specialized). I'll be going to a larger city over the holidays and might have a chance to look at a bunch that I won't find locally. I'm in a small town.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    As far as brands go, especially with the larger ones, there's really no such thing as a "best" brand or "best" bike. Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, GT, Rocky mountain, Kona, Diamondback (yes, diamondback makes some properly good bikes in their LBS-sold stuff), the list goes on. Fact is, brand really doesn't matter, especially shopping used.

Realistically, what's going to be the best for you, is what fits your body the best, and what fits your wallet the best. In your price range, your money will get you a very solid hardtail new, and used, your options open up even more. I'd personally suggest sticking with something made of aluminum or steel (heavier, but tends to give a smoother ride). Carbon's nice for sure, but budget wise, I'd not suggest it.

What city are you visiting, if you don't mind the question? I ask this because it gives people here the ability to help you dredge through classifieds such as Craigslist to give you some ideas and suggestions on bikes.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    We will be in Keller but close to forth worth and Dallas is close too. Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Good used bikes at the lower end of your budget too.

I'm sure Dallas supports at least one used bike shop. That'll let you try a few bikes back-to-back, but also stretch your money to more bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx