mtbr member

Non-bike question: how to format links at MTBR?

I can't find any forum specific to this kind of question, so I'll just put it out here.

I see many posts where a hot link to a URL is represented by a word or phrase rather than the actual URL--an "alias" for the URL.

In other forums I've used this can be accomplished by clicking an icon in the message editing window which has two entry fields: 1) the alias for the URL and 2) the actual URL. Then when the message is posted only the alias appears in the message.

On my computer (Windows 7 if that matters), the "Insert Link" icon just allows entering an actual URL.

I know it must be possible, because I see it all the time. Hope someone can show me what I need to do.

TIA.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's BBCode, you can do everything you want manually if you know the tags. Google it for more info, however the tag you want looks like this, minus the extra space in the open tag:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html]This is the linky[/url]
    This is the linky

You can also stack tags, so you can make it look like whatever you want:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html][ b]This is the linky[/b][/url]
    This is the linky
    Or even better, make the link a picture:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html][ img]http://forums.mtbr.com/images/channels/mtbr/leftlogo3.gif[/img][/url]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge View Post
    It's BBCode, you can do everything you want manually if you know the tags. Google it for more info, however the tag you want looks like this, minus the extra space in the open tag:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html]This is the linky[/url]
    This is the linky

You can also stack tags, so you can make it look like whatever you want:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html][ b]This is the linky[/b][/url]
    This is the linky
    Or even better, make the link a picture:

[ url=www.examplewebaddress.com/index.html][ img]http://forums.mtbr.com/images/channels/mtbr/leftlogo3.gif[/img][/url]
    Cool! Thanks much. Of course I wish the message editor had an icon--but that's just being lazy, isn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

EDR
    I see many posts where a hot link to a URL is represented by a word or phrase rather than the actual URL--an "alias" for the URL.
    It's super simple. Just click on the little "world" looking icon directly above the reply box. It's 3rd from the left. Then cut and paste your URL that you want to link to into that box. Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News - azcentral.com The WWW address will then be copied into your text highlighted in blue, you can type over it and name it anything you want. AZ news for example. You can highlight it in color for better results

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    It's super simple. Just click on the little "world" looking icon directly above the reply box. It's 3rd from the left. Then cut and paste your URL that you want to link to into that box. Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News - azcentral.com The WWW address will then be copied into your text highlighted in blue, you can type over it and name it anything you want. AZ news for example. You can highlight it in color for better results

Yesss! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Or just highlight the text you want to turn into a hyperlink, then click the "Insert Link" icon, paste link and you're done.