1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Niner One9 ss

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Niner One9 ss

I was wondering if it is possible to put gears on niner One9 ss?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Of course.

But your options are all fairly unconventional.

Do you already have the frame?

Can you give us a little context?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yeah it is a built up already and i am looking at buying it but i would want to put a cassette in the rear and i wanted to know if that is possible
    here is a link to the bike
    Niner One9 ss

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd skip it. There's not going to be a straightforward way to put a rear derailleur on it.

For $1500, it shouldn't take too long for a nice geared bike to show up on Craig's List. That's also going to be bikes that people sell through their shops on consignment, and some pretty nice '13 hardtails that are being sold new on clearance. So, make some phone calls.

If you're using price brackets to search faster, set your lower one to $500 or $600. You'd be surprised what people list their high-end, late-model hardtails for if they haven't been riding them.

Since you're willing to spend a reasonable amount of money, you should be able to find a nice bike without too much difficulty. Just look for one that is already set up pretty much how you want it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx