1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Next upgrade - brakes or wheels

Should my next upgrade be disc brakes (I now have Dia Compe Vs) or wheels, I now have Mavic X138, sachs centera hubs and michelin XL (I am not so sure of the exact model of the tires). What would you recommend for both?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo
    Should my next upgrade be disc brakes (I now have Dia Compe Vs) or wheels, I now have Mavic X138, sachs centera hubs and michelin XL (I am not so sure of the exact model of the tires). What would you recommend for both?
    Markleo... which bike do you have? And what do you use it for?

Are your current hubs disc ready or not? If not, that would mean changing hubs... and that would lead to first replace the wheelset and later the brakes.

You can replace the tires for 80 to 120 bucks, depending on which tires you want. The wheelset can go from 200 to 800, depending on what you choose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You have to save some bucks in order to upgrade your bike. Are your frame had a disc mount? disc hubs? Well sooner or later your bike be getting dress after all. go men!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ya that is a big step, you might have to do both. I would say save till one brakes down then replace both. Personally though I still run good v-brakes and have never had a problem. I have rode cheap v-brakes on others bikes and understand thier frustration. Get a good set ant you will be happy. I run XTR's and you can find them on ebay fairly cheap, the new XT's are good as well I hear.
    Or to hell with it get magura rim brakes (they work well on my trials bike!!!)

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!