1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Newton Deda Stem on a XC Mountain bike

Hi

Bought a Newton Deda stem today got it for a bargain 30 my question is it strong enough for a xc mountain bike (gaint xtc 950) as it seems to be a road bike stem. I only do xc riding occasionally, mostly use my bike on the road.

thank you
    craig

Former Bike Wrench
    You sure its the right clamp size? Standard road is 25.8-26.0mm while mountain is 25.4mm. If you got oversize (31.8mm) then you'll be OK there since both mountain and road are the same size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    oops i bought the 26 and my old one measure 25.4 will that make that much diffrence it seems to be solid

Former Bike Wrench
    Problem with putting a 25.4 bar in a 26.0 stem is that your not getting even clamping force all the way around the bar. The bar is only being clamped at two points, which is a crushing force...and not safe at all. You can try using a homemade shim from a soda can...this can even the clamping pressure...but use at your own risk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ok im an idiot what if i bought these http://www.ison-distribution.com/iso...?part=HBIDSHIR would it be safe

cheers

Former Bike Wrench

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by c3ham
    ok im an idiot what if i bought these http://www.ison-distribution.com/iso...?part=HBIDSHIR would it be safe

cheers
    Yes...that'll do just fine