mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Newton Deda Stem on a XC Mountain bike

Hi

Bought a Newton Deda stem today got it for a bargain £30 my question is it strong enough for a xc mountain bike (gaint xtc 950) as it seems to be a road bike stem. I only do xc riding occasionally, mostly use my bike on the road.

thank you
    craig

Former Bike Wrench
    You sure its the right clamp size? Standard road is 25.8-26.0mm while mountain is 25.4mm. If you got oversize (31.8mm) then you'll be OK there since both mountain and road are the same size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    oops i bought the 26 and my old one measure 25.4 will that make that much diffrence it seems to be solid

Former Bike Wrench
    Problem with putting a 25.4 bar in a 26.0 stem is that your not getting even clamping force all the way around the bar. The bar is only being clamped at two points, which is a crushing force...and not safe at all. You can try using a homemade shim from a soda can...this can even the clamping pressure...but use at your own risk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ok im an idiot what if i bought these http://www.ison-distribution.com/iso...?part=HBIDSHIR would it be safe

cheers

Former Bike Wrench

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by c3ham
    ok im an idiot what if i bought these http://www.ison-distribution.com/iso...?part=HBIDSHIR would it be safe

cheers
    Yes...that'll do just fine