mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. newer rider converting to 1x10?

Itís time to upgrade my drivetrain and was curious about 1 x 10. Right now Iím on a 2 x 10 (38/26 front rings) and find myself using the big ring less than 5% of my normal rides. I really only get on the big ring if Iím trying to fly down fire road or riding on the occasional pavement - so, not enough to warrant having the big ring.

Iím attracted to simplicity of it. Not necessarily trying to shave weight. I would probably get a bash guard. I ride a mix of trail and XC.

If I were to do this, should I stay with the 26 ring? Is there an ďmiddle of the roadĒ or more typical teeth-count 1 x 10 setups are best for? Anything I should know before converting over?

Any tips appreciated! Thanks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm curious as to what XC is if it's not riding on trails.

I actually feel pretty well-served by my double, though it has a smaller inner ring, 24 teeth. And to be fair, I'm planning to lower the gearing this winter. But if I wanted to do a 1x setup with smaller than a 32t ring, I'd probably be thinking spiderless gear. There's not great support for smaller chain rings otherwise. They physically won't fit on a 104 mm bolt circle.

You can have pretty much any even-numbered tooth count you want. Lately, people are touting narrow-wide rings.

You can also just substitute a bash guard for your outer ring. But your 26/11 combination could have pretty crappy chainline.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Your best bet is probably something like a 28t or 30t direct mount.

I like wolftooths direct mount rings.

What type of crankset you have now? You will get better response and suggestions by posting that info. Also you dont really need a bashguard unless you are hitting it a lot right now when you go 1x, remember your chain will be around your ringso you won't hit teeth.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks both. Yes, still new to this so patience is appreciated....

Trek Bicycle

I bought this bike used in March. I got a good deal on it and knew that most of the drivetrain would have to be replaced at some point.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Unless you ride very technical trails, I'd avoid switching to a single ring for now. I have double and triple rings on my bikes and spend the majority of my time in the middle ring (triple) or large ring (double). For the vast majority of my riding a 34T ring is perfect. On long drawn out climbs I'll drop to the smaller ring, but in a typical after work 2-hour ride I don't use the small ring at all.

Since you're new to the sport, you'll get stronger and faster. You'll likely out grow a 26T front ring pretty quickly. If you really want to go with a 1x10 expect that one day soon you'll opt for a bigger ring.

I personally prefer multiple front rings. I live in a mountainous area where there are long steep ups, and long steep downs. I also bike on pavement to/from the trail head which means that I use bigger gears often. I like having lots of gearing options - so a 1X10 seems limiting to me.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The only thing you should really have to replace on that bike is wear items like chain and cassette. Since this is a nice XT drivetrain at this point I would agree with some of the other points leave what you have and learn. Shaimano XT is in my opinon is one of the best drivetrains out there and I wouldnt mess with it.

What led you to initially beleive you need to updgrade, sometimes if it is just normal wear and tear new cables, housing, chain will do wonders. This is more maintainence than upgrades.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    For sizing the front chainring take note of where your chain usually is on the cassette when in the 26t. If you're normally somewhere in the middle then 26 would be good (for now) but if you find that you are usually in the smaller rear cogs you should size up a few teeth in the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    The only thing you should really have to replace on that bike is wear items like chain and cassette. Since this is a nice XT drivetrain at this point I would agree with some of the other points leave what you have and learn. Shaimano XT is in my opinon is one of the best drivetrains out there and I wouldnt mess with it.

What led you to initially beleive you need to updgrade, sometimes if it is just normal wear and tear new cables, housing, chain will do wonders. This is more maintainence than upgrades.
    You're right, "upgrade" is the wrong word.

The guy I bought it from (a friend) rode the bike pretty hard for about a year before letting it sit in his (clean, dry) basement for another year. I inspected it pretty thoroughly before I bought it and saw some wear and tear, figured I'd have to swap the cassette and front rings at some point in the next year. I brought it in to the LBS for a general tune up a couple months ago and the LBS tried to sell me on a whole new crank, cassette and chain for ~$300.

I broke the chain this weekend, and from what I understand the chain wears with the rings/cassette, so a brand new chain won't mesh well with the current condition of the drivetrain...right? Meaning I could get some ghost shifts, slipping, etc?

The front ring teeth definitely have the "shark fin" look to them. I'll take some pics tonight and upload.

At this point I'm assuming I need a new cassette, front rings and chain (right??)...which led me to research 1x10s.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by bear99 View Post
    The guy I bought it from (a friend) rode the bike pretty hard for about a year before letting it sit in his (clean, dry) basement for another year.

I broke the chain this weekend, and from what I understand the chain wears with the rings/cassette, so a brand new chain won't mesh well with the current condition of the drivetrain...right? Meaning I could get some ghost shifts, slipping, etc?

First, a year of hard riding isn't that much. Components definitely wear, but a year old component is not "old" - assuming you're not riding 10k miles a year.

Second, with proper maintenance, the drivetrain will survive through multiple chains. I don't know how badly your chain is "stretched" but unless it's horribly worn a new chain should work with your current rings and cog set. Replace the chain first and if it does not skip you're fine. You should replace your chain semi-regularly, in doing so you prevent the cogs and rings from wearing. They should last a long time.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    First, a year of hard riding isn't that much. Components definitely wear, but a year old component is not "old" - assuming you're not riding 10k miles a year.

Second, with proper maintenance, the drivetrain will survive through multiple chains. I don't know how badly your chain is "stretched" but unless it's horribly worn a new chain should work with your current rings and cog set. Replace the chain first and if it does not skip you're fine. You should replace your chain semi-regularly, in doing so you prevent the cogs and rings from wearing. They should last a long time.
    Yes, I think this is my plan.

Thanks all for your patience and advice....this place is great!