1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Newby looking to buy bike in Arizona

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and here for advice. I am closing on 60 (too fast) and slightly overweight. Doc won't let me ride yet due to knee/hip issues but I think therapy has it whipped and I can get his approval soon.

I haven't had a bike in , well I think the Cubs won the world series when I last rode. (Sorry Cubs fans not that funny eh?) My only experience on 2 wheels is cycle classes in the gym (which kick my ass BTW and actually only have one wheel) and the occasional mototaxi in Thailand when liquor gets the better of my self preservation instinct.

I recently moved to Scottsdale and am surrounded by sidewalk trails parallel to the road so I can start easy. I am near a lot of desert and I assume some bike trails there as well.

My interest is simple. I wish to have a bike for exercise outside as I think it might make me challenge myself more. I have a little cash and am willing to spend to get the right gear for someone not looking to race. So I don't need unobtanium parts. What I need is - I don't know. Shocks front AND back? 29er? Brand names that are good? A decent bike shop near Scottsdale or Fountain Hills? If I have a good bike shop I assume I can trust them to fit me and not oversell me on what I need so that would be a great start.

I guess I need to read the section on trail riding etiquette as well. As a golfer it maddens me to see people who don't understand etiquette on the course so I don't want to be guilty of it on the trails.

Thanks for the board and thanks for any advice you more experienced riders can offer.

mtbr member
    Try reposting in the AZ forum, You'll get plenty of shop suggestions there.
    I've heard lots of good things about the folks at Sundays Cycles (32nd street/Bell) and The guys at Bicycles of Phoenix (48th street/Cactus) have been good to me the few times I've been in.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. I didn't realize they had individual state forums. I have reposted and await some help.