1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

... and if we just ... Newbie wants a great bike!!!!

Hi all ,

I need your expert opinions. I am looking at getting a new bike. I am going to be using it for both mountain biking and to ride to Angels baseball games. The Bike that I am looking at getting right now is the Ibex Alpine 650 with the specs below. Price on it is $549 + $35 S/H. That is about as much as I want to spend on a new bike, and it looks like the best bike I can possibly get for the money. Can you please advise me of any better bikes??!!?? Thanks!!!

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

Frame:
    6061 Aluminum

Fork:
    Manitou Axel Elite

Shifters:
    Shimano Deore Rapidfire

Front Derailleur:
    Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur:
    Shimano LX

Crankset:
    TruVativ Blaze

Cassette:
    Shimano HG50-9

Chain:
    Shimano HG53

Brakes:
    Avid BB-5 Mechanical Discs

Levers:
    Avid FR-5

Rims:
    WTB SpeedDisc

Hubs:
    Formula Disc

Tires:
    Kenda Koyote - 26" x 1.95

Cockpit Set:
    UNO Alloy

Saddle:
    WTB Pure V Comp

Pedals:
    Shimano M505 Clipless

mtbr member
    for the money you really cant do any better than that ibex. ibex makes some really nice bikes. if your gonna be riding it to baseball games make sure you get yourself a good lock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Invicta. I will do that! I also park it right next to the security guards on the fence at the entrance and bring an extra water bottle to give to the security guard at the gate...lol. Makes sure he knows who me and my g/f are and the bikes are safe!!

ride hard take risks
    Gots to agree with InvictaS1 excelent bike for the price. Have a good lock, InvictaS1 is correct about that. A kid im helping with XC racing has had 3 bikes stolen this year, luckily not the race bike. Locks save bikes.

mtbr member
    check out some U-Bar style locks for your frame, and if you want extra peace of mind, some disc brake locks.
    Last edited by sutherland; 04-28-2006 at 06:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey, we are practially neighbors, and it sounds like, fellow Ibex owners If you want a group to ride with, let me know. We are going up Maple Springs (aka Silverado Canyon) tommorow morning. It will be closing for the summer soon, but is a great ride for starting out. You just go as far as your legs will take you, then turn around and coast back to the car.

ride hard take risks
    You do mean bomb back

Student
    If your going to be usintg that bike as transportation to and from baseball games, u better get yourself a damn good lock
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]