mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Newbie with some questions. THANKS!

Hey everybody. First post
    I just moved from Louisiana to the bay area in CA so for sure there is way more opportunity for me to mountain bike. In particular I am interested in downhill, nothing insane like the pros (yet) but I do want to get some nasty speed and hit burms and some nice drops. I am looking for a good starter bike for myself. Ive been to some of the local shops, seems mostly what they have are Trek Fuel ex 8's or similar, I am pretty sure thats not really the direction I want to go. If you guys could just give me some general advice to what I should be looking for in my bike and even some specific companies and models would be excellent as this is all kind of confusing to a new comer. Also if there are bikes out there good for a beginner that aren't ridiculously expensive that would be great to mention as well, $2,300 for the trek fuel ex 8 is doable but definitely gonna hurt.
    Very excited to meet people in the area with similar interests as well so if you live in the bay feel free to send me a message.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Yeti asx looks great and thats an awesome price.
    Im 6'3" 180 lbs would a large frame be ok or a bit too small?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    as per their site you are between sizes,
    LARGE 5'11" (180 CM) - 6'3" (191 CM)
    X-LARGE 6'3" (185 CM) - 6'6" (198 CM)

since DH bike you don't really pedal for long periods it might be ok, but at the end of it, is personal preference

mtbr member
    I had a chance to demo a Giant Stance recently it's fairly inexpensive and FS but not a real downhill grinder. I own a Remedy 29er and with 140 mm of travel it is solid but more of an all mountain / trail. When I was looking I noticed in general the bigger the travel the bigger the price tag...I would highly recommend the Remedy and its 140-150mm of travel ( depends on wheel size). Great frame nice kit, and awesome suspension. May serve you well as you develop and would be far more versatile than the longer travel bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm reading that in the bay area there's not too much downhill. With that I'd want a bike that could handle uphill and cross country as well as be decent with downhill. Is that yeti asx still a good choice cause I really like that.

mtbr member
    It won't be the best bet then......

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is the trek fuel ex a good all around bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Or a remedy?

mtbr member
    Yes, but if your more set on bombing down a trail when given the oportunity, I would look at the Fuels slightly bigger travel brother the Remedy. It is almost the same bike just a little slacker and more travel. Mine will still climb as good as my HT even with shocks set on full squish.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I found the Fuel a bit underwhelming and the Remedy lots of fun while still capable of climbing.

For your price, look at some hardtails too. Lately, some have more travel and slacker angles, for more of a party on the way down attitude.

Where in the Bay Area are you moving? I used to do some riding in the Marin Headlands. That's all very non-technical XC. Lately, when I visit home, I ride China Camp with a friend. That's more technical, but not exactly extreme. I read about Tamarancho a lot but haven't been. From what I read, that may be more of the experience you're hoping for. Those spots are all in Marin County. Where are you moving? Depending on the specifics and what's in easy striking distance, you may make a different choice. And, people do do DH at a ski resort in Lake Tahoe, though the drive is a few hours, so not great as a day trip.

Are you making noise on the Northern California forum? They'll have better recommendations...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey cool. I'm moved to the penninsula in los altos so Marin headlands isn't too far. I've actually hiked up there a couple times and agree that would be a fun place to start. I will look into the others you mentioned and check out the norcal forum as well. Tahoe is definitely on my to do list, every season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Also I think I've set on the remedy. I've seen some start around $2,500 too. A guy at a local bike shop turned me on the a GT as well...the force X coming this Christmas. What do you guys think?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nah, if you live in Los Altos, the Marin Headlands are very far. Don't forget, you have to get through a city of 800,000 people without a through freeway. Besides, why bother? There's better riding closer.

I mean, really, it's still worth going on "away" rides from time to time because variety is good. But you'll be in the Santa Cruz mountains. I used to ride in Santa Cruz all the time - I went to school there. I didn't have a car, so pretty much only Wilder Ranch and UCSC, but I'd put those up against China Camp any day and they're easier to get to from Los Altos. People also used to ride (probably still do) Big Basin and Nisene Marks. Do a little Googling.

Lucky for you, it should be a more rugged experience too. The mountains are steeper and more densely forested.

I'd see Los Altos more as South Bay. But then, I grew up in San Francisco proper. I'd be blackballed by everyone still living there if I wasn't snobby about places further from the city.

Normally, I tell people not to get too set on a mountain bike that sounds good on paper. But it doesn't sound like you have a mountain bike at all. So going to demo days isn't going to be very informative. Better just to grab a bike and start riding; see where it takes you. By spec, I don't see anything wrong with the Remedy 7. Of course, spend more, get more. But it'll be diminishing returns. About the only thing the Remedy would be annoying to use for is XC racing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx