1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. Newbie Seatpost question on offset's

I have a rigid 26.8mm seatpost and would like to replace it with a suspension seatpost. Iwas looking at a cheap Promax ($24)with 40mm offset and a more expensive Cane Creek ($125) with 25mm of offset.

What is the offset number the spec refer to? Is it the distance from the center of the post to the seat clamp?

The bike is a KHS Solo One, WTB laserbeam wheels, Kenda Karma 2.0x26" tires, WTB seat, Rohloff rear Speedhub.

Suspension seatpost brand recommendations are also appreciated. I just bought the bike for $950 new. The speedhub absolutely rocks!

Thank you for any insights!

-David

Dirt Deviant
    I believe the offset is measured from the center of the post to the center of the rail clamp. So a 25mm offset would mean the center of the clamp is 1 inch behind the center of the post.
    40mm seems like a huge amount of offset to me.
    You should measure the offset of the seatpost you have now.
    Unless your bike feels too short from front to back, I wouldn't go with too much offset.....otherwise the bike will feel too long and will start causing you pain in your knees, shoulders arms etc.
    Take a tape measure and measure the offset by eyeballing it from the center of your post to the center of the clamp. It is most likely a 10mm offset. That seems to be fairly standard.
    Someone please correct me if I'm off here.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In addition to Savageman's good advice, I'll add that depending on where your seat is now, you may be able to make up for any offset by sliding the saddle forward. If you're happy with where it is now, take some measurements and make sure you can get it there even with the offset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you Savagemann,

I measured from the center of the seat rail to the center of the seat post, and it came to 1.25" or 31.75mm.

Attached is a picture of the seatpost with a tape measure.

-David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Deviant
    No Prob.
    You're looking good. Either post you end up getting you can always scoot the seat back or forward on the rails 10mm no problems.
    From the looks of your pic it looks like your seat is about in the middle of the rail as it sits now......if the position feels good as is, then you should have no problems whichever post you end up with.
    Might be a good idea to mark your rails with a sharpie before you swap to the new post to make the adjustment that much easier. That way you can pretty much set it and forget it.
    Word!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    No Prob.
    You're looking good. Either post you end up getting you can always scoot the seat back or forward on the rails 10mm no problems.
    From the looks of your pic it looks like your seat is about in the middle of the rail as it sits now......if the position feels good as is, then you should have no problems whichever post you end up with.
    Might be a good idea to mark your rails with a sharpie before you swap to the new post to make the adjustment that much easier. That way you can pretty much set it and forget it.
    Word!
    Really great advice. Thank you for the insights and education. The seat is mounted on the midpoint of it's rails. Looks like there is enough adjustment capability. I'll mark the original set-up with a sharpie - great tip.

-David