1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Newbie rider, seat post adjustment range.

Alright, so I *finally* picked up my Trek Mamba 29'er from the LBS on Saturday. Unfortunately, it has been non-stop rain since then so it is sitting idle waiting for the weather to clear and the work-week to end.

I did some preliminary adjustments to the saddle height. The Mamba comes with a 400mm seat-post. When adjusted for proper leg extension (heel just touching pedal at the 6 o'clock position) the seat post is only about 1-1.5" from bottoming out in the bracket (I'm fairly short.. 5'9")

Should I consider getting a 350mm seat post to allow a wider range of adjustment (ie: dropping the saddle when on a long descent) ?

I *think* 350mm would still be plenty long enough to allow for my proper ride height and allow more room to drop the saddle/shift back behind it.

I'm still adapting to not being able to touch the ground when sitting on the saddle..so this is probably a bit of a premature question, but I figured it was worth asking.

It'll be nice to actually be able to ride the thing.. The wait is killing me!

mtbr member
    You could just shorten the 400mm.

Welcome to the site.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very good chance you can ride comfortably with a lower seat heat. You will want it at a height allowing you to be confident on the downhills you ride. You can have it higher if you just ride two track. 350mm used from LBS to test.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    shorten your seat post by cutting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cut the current post or get a "dropper" post with a remote.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY