1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    vux
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

newbie preloaded shocks questions

Hey everyone, newbie here. I have a 4300 Trek which is my first real mtb in years and the first one that has the preloaded shocks. The shop told me I wouldnt really have to mess with these but didnt really explain how they work and how they should be adjusted. Is there certain types of riding that they need ot be adjusted for? Should they be turned more or less on each side depending on where I'm riding and what I'm doing?

There's no app for this.

It's an

entry level fork with basic adjustments, if any at all.

A fork is intended to keep the front tire hooked up to the dirt in rough terrain, and settings adjust how that works best for you.

Here's what TREK says in the manual you should have gotten from the LBS:

Inspection:
    Before every ride, ensure that the suspension
    fork is operating properly. Do not ride with less
    than the minimum clearances between the top of
    the tire and the bottom of the fork crown (Figure
    3.11.1), listed in the Suspension Fork Owner’s
    Manual supplied with your suspension fork

I'd ask the LBS for the manual if there is one.

Jim

Haro Sonix LT VL120
    May 2006
    The adjustment you have are for preload which will set the amount of sag the fork has. To set it up just take a sip tie and sip it around the for stanchion (The silver part that goes into the fork itself). Back the knobs all the way out until they stop. Sit on the bike as if you were mtbing. Get off the bike and look to see how far up the zip tie went up. Turn the knobs clockwise until the fork compresses about 20-25 percent of its travel when you are sitting on the bike. IF you prefer the fork to be firmer than increase the preload or decrese until it feel like the way you like it. Hope this helps!

David