1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Newbie, neeed help =)

Hello friends.

I'm trying to get back in shape and have some fun so I'm going to pick up a mountain bike to trail ride with my buddies(something I've been putting off for some time due to other interests soaking up all my $$$).

Anyway, I have a $500 budget, and I'm searching on craigslist for something lightly used.

I have the chance to jump on a '04 Cannondale F600 that is super-lightly used(around $500, fair?)

I did some searching on here and it seems like they are a good bike to start on.

I'm 6'0 with about a 31'' inseam(with running shoes on). Will an 18''(medium) frame be alright for me? I know generic sizing charts suggest I get something a little larger - Your thoughts?

Think I'm headed in the right direction? Or should I save up and buy new?

Thanks in advance.

I Have Cookies
    is it the SL or the regular F600, Even for an '04 $500 seems a bit much...I'd look at it first and maybe have it checked out @ an LBS first someone whos familiar with headshocks I'd get it but for a bit less maybe $50 less, they went for about $1000 new,
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    is it the SL or the regular F600, Even for an '04 $500 seems a bit much...I'd look at it first and maybe have it checked out @ an LBS first someone whos familiar with headshocks I'd get it but for a bit less maybe $50 less, they went for about $1000 new,
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/1656524127.html

He's going to email me pictures but I might just go check it out in person this week. I'm sure he would take $450 it, sounded flexible in our email interaction.

Or this popped up...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...686708703.html
    Last edited by Crashh; 04-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.