1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Newbie needs second opinion before buying a bike

Heres a bike i found on craigslist that i really like... but is it worth it? Here are the description and pictures, given the info i was hoping i could get an opinion on what this bike might be worth from someone who knows....

"I have a Nuke Proof titanium mountain bike for sale. The frame is 17 inches. 26" wheels with rock shock. Frame is actually made be lite speed for nuke proof. Updated parts, including brakes and front wheel with not much mileage. Frame itself was close to $1800 when new. Rides great! No time to ride these days. "

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The thing you need to know is that if it fits you ,a 17" frame uselly fits someone around 5'8" to 6'. How much does he want for it? I'd guess around 500$ and that might high. You can look on Ebay to see what bikes have sold for,also look on bike blue book for what they might be worth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i wouldn't buy that bike. it's really old and you get can something with newer tech and parts for not that much.

mtbr member
    $100 and it will make an awesome beer-fetcher.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Very old skool. It's hard to put a price on a bike like that. What's he asking? And, are you into having something a bit off the beaten track, or are you just looking for a bike to ride?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I found the CL ad. He is asking 450 OBO. I think that is a pretty fair asking price for a classic Titanium bike.

Titanium isnt cheap... That being said, its almost 20 years old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey thanks for the replies everyone... yes, 450 as stated by moefosho... I figured it was on old bike (early 90s) just from what i found out about it online... Id like a bike that can take a beating, im pretty rough on them on all sorts of terrain.... I almost felt like just the fact that this bike is made of titanium it'd be worth the asking price, maybe score it for 350 or so if the guy is negotiable... but 006_007 doesnt seem to think its worth more than a beer fetcher? some conflicting points of view here.... i suppose it's a toss up

mtbr member
    My guess is those components on that bike will wear out faster(if they are not already shot) than any frame.

Yes, Titanium is more durable, but Aluminum and Steel are also very durable these days.

Everything on that bike is outdated(fork, drivetrain, brakes, wheels, tires) and many of those parts cannot be upgraded with newer components(tapered head tubes for forks, disc brakes).

The frame is cool, and its a cool bike, but I wouldnt buy it unless I really wanted an old Ti bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well im not looking for anything specific (i.e. a Ti bike) just look for a good bike thats durable and affordable... not a pro biker, and dont plan to be, but like i said i do ride hard... $400 is probably my top dollar

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There people still riding bikes like that .So depending on how you would ride, it how worn out the parts are it could be worth the $ Finding parts could be hard, it's your money ,you decide if its worth it .

B.Ike
    You'll be able to find parts. I'd offer him 300, put a rigid fork on it, and then ride it like I stole it.