1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Newbie needs advice

I purchased a Gary Fisher Mamba and a Trek 4300 from a police auction for 10 bucks apiece. The bike guy shop gave me quotes of $280 each to get either in good riding shape. He thinks both are early to mid 2000 models. In looking over his quote, I think I can get one of the other in good shape for half that (I can learn and do most of the work myself and get better prices on parts online, plus take components from the one I don't chose to ride if possible) My question to y'all is given those parameters, which of the two bikes would make the better bike. I understand there are a lot of variables, but please give it your best shot.

A related question: The Gary Fisher has Trek nowhere on it, how can I tell if the GF is pre Trek or not and would that make any difference. I do like the looks of the GF best, for what that's worth.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DF

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    See if you can match the picture.
    Bicycle Value Guide

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Trek bought Fisher around 1990 ,so I would guess that is a Trek / Fisher.I have a Fisher from 88 it's Fisher /Fisher.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Gary Fisher Mamba

Newbie needs advice-resized_gf.jpg

It's hard to tell, but this is the bike.

DF

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2002 Gary Fisher Mamba
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks like the Mamba really went down market those few years around 2002. I'm disappointed mine wasn't a higher priced (better quality) bike. Looks like the Trek 4300 may be the better bike.

D

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    OTOH, I just read the reviews on this Forum for the '02 GF Mamba and it got decent reviews. Maybe an option would be to, over time, upgrade components when a few extra bucks are available.

D

mtbr member
    their both 26" both made in the same factories, both 26" hardtails just pick one and build it. if the frames are different sizes that could seriously come into play as to which one. Not really much difference between the 2 bikes beyond that, maybe components but easily swapped over either direction. I could see a geo difference but being as they are both "entry lvl" dont see there being much if any.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    280 each? I say oil the cables and clean and regrease the hubs and headsets.. Maybe chains, or just clean them up.. And see how it goes

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^^ I'm sure the LBS quoted his that much because from looking at the pic, they are swapping tires/tubes, complete tune, cables, etc.

There are definitely short cuts that could be taken. I can tell you right now, neither bike is worth spending $200 on, you'd be wasting your time and money.

Take the 2 bikes and make the best bike you can out of the 2.
    Bike Doctor

Fat-tired Roadie
    Trek 4-series and Fisher frames have pretty different fits. If they're both rideable, spend a little time on each, then cannibalize the other to restore the one you like better.

Check out parktool.com for really good, well-photographed maintenance articles. I'd probably follow their new bike assembly checklist for a project like this.

You'll probably still end up spending some more money, but not as much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx