1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Newbie in need of some help!!

Hey everyone, so I hate being the new guy and not knowing anything but forums have has been a great source of advice for me so I hoping this one will be as well. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer.

So I am looking to get into the sport and have never really had a "real" bike. I have found some nice trails in my area with all kinds of difficulty levels. I am assuming I will be pretty hard on the bike as I tend to be pretty hard on all my toys!

I am looking for some advice on a bike to buy. I have been to several local shops but I am not sure who to trust they all kind of say different things. Today I test drove a trek xcaliber 8 and totally loved it. Super smooth great breaking no squeaks and an overall great ride. I do think I will do a little riding on flat stuff and pavement at times and it seemed to ride really nicely. I am a pretty short guy about 5'7" 180lbs the one I rode was. 17.5 29er. Sorry if I don't have the proper lingo down. He said he would give me the bike for $799 but that is a little more than I was looking to spend. I have found several on bikes direct that seem to have SRAM components lock out forks and hydraulic breaks which the trek had. They are all motobecane.

So couple questions, first what should I be looking for here? What things do I need to consider? Is there a motobecane that you all think would have a similar feel to the trek xcaliber 8? For around the 500-600 range? Also does a 29er make sense. I have been told it will be faster and smoother and get over things easier which I love all of those...does 17.5 sound right or should I be thinking smaller?

Any help you all can provide would be so appreciated!

Once I get the bike what extras do you feel are most important? Finally if you had to give any advise/recommendations/ necessary gear requirements what would they be?

Again thanks a lot and I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say!!

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Newbie in need of some help!!

Smaller bikes sometimes get weird. But definitely hop on a couple. At 5'8", I considered a small last time I bought a bike but it couldn't fit a water bottle. Often, they mess with the geometry in a way that may make it harder for you to get the bike to fit your body.

Do you have friends who ride?

I chewed my $600 bike. Still have the frame and seatpost, but that's it. I always tell my friends that if that's what they can spend, go secondhand. Then kick myself when they do. :-P Make a few calls and see if any of the shops in your area deal in used bikes. Ride a bunch, buy your favorite.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the advice...I really don't want to cheap out and want something that last so maybe the used route make sense. I am ABSOLUTLEY open to it. I was actually looking last night and found a couple thatch waiting for responses on. I agree on the size as well I looked at some smaller ones and they just seem a little off... I think the medium 17.5 is going to work for me.