mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Newbie and my bike

I started getting back into cycling last year and bought a bike. A Forge Saranac from Target online. I ended up builidng a road bike last winter and well the mt biking bug bit me as well. Unfortunately I couldn't do what would be the better move and that is to get a better bike. So I have done the next best thing and upgraded what I have. I got Ritchey bars, stem, post and saddle. Last weekend I upgraded the cassette and shifters to Alivio 8 speed. The bike path tires had to go as well. Next on the list is pedals and a better fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie and my bike-img_9242.jpg  

Newbie and my bike-img_9244.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's awesome man! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun on it... be careful, the mod bug bites hard.

PM me if you need help with anything.

Adam at Tree Fort Bikes
    Last edited by ADDam; 09-07-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    adam • michigan • karate monkey

mtbr member
    Nice. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.
    Have fun on the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Nice. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.
    Have fun on the trails!
    I'm having loads of fun on the trails

mtbr member
    Congrats, looks nice.

mtbr member
    Cool man! Keep going!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    congrat's ...let us know how it rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice! I have the Forge Sawback 5xx. Great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    nice! congrats!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo 7 View Post
    congrat's ...let us know how it rides
    With the fork it has, pretty bad. Suntour is lowend, but this is the lower end of the suntour spectrum. 63mm of travel and I use every bit of it. If anyone wants to sell me a Rock Shox Tora for cheap(or free ) let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bikefun View Post
    Nice! I have the Forge Sawback 5xx. Great bikes.
    I nearly bought one of those instead. Looking back, I should have. It was like $380 at the time. Now they are almost $600

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Pedals

You might want to try the magnesium bear claws or the Azonic pedals. Have fun building your bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Saddle up and roll on pardner!
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Olsen View Post
    With the fork it has, pretty bad. Suntour is lowend, but this is the lower end of the suntour spectrum. 63mm of travel and I use every bit of it. If anyone wants to sell me a Rock Shox Tora for cheap(or free ) let me know.
    If your serious about the Tora you might want to ask Marpilli how it works when you put a 100mm fork on a frame designed for 63mm. He put a 100mm Manitou (forgot the model) on a GT Aggressor frame and the handling was not so hot. Changed to an 80mm Rock Shox SID and that was much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    If your serious about the Tora you might want to ask Marpilli how it works when you put a 100mm fork on a frame designed for 63mm. He put a 100mm Manitou (forgot the model) on a GT Aggressor frame and the handling was not so hot. Changed to an 80mm Rock Shox SID and that was much better.
    I've attempted the same change and have the same advice. Go with an 80mm fork at max, 100mm will ruin the way the bike handles.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

banned
    OP, listen to this guy. ^^^ He knows what he's talking about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How much of a difference does it make? Just about every aftermarket fork now is 100mm or more that I have seen.

banned
    How much of a difference does it make? Just about every aftermarket fork now is 100mm or more that I have seen.
    It made enough of a difference that I changed it out. I realize most forks built these days are 100mm or more. The problem is when you take a frame designed for 64mm fork and put a 100mm fork on it the bike doesn't handle as designed.

Best way I can explain it was when I would enter a turn, the front wheel felt like it was going to flop sideways (into the turn). I had to consciously pull slightly outward on the handlebars to keep it from happening. Not the worst thing in the world but it was really annoying...

Edit: An older used fork will be cheaper, anyway. Then you can spend the money you saved on some other blingy parts.

Picture Unrelated
    Just because every current fork is 100mm doesn't mean that 100mm works with your bike. You can do what you will, but do some searching and you'll find dozens of people who have tried it before you with similar experiences to myself and marpilli.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What is a decent fork around 80mm travel? I have V-brakes so it would need the bosses.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What is a decent fork around 80mm travel? I have V-brakes so it would need the bosses.
    What's your budget? You can get a brand new Dart2 with V brake bosses for around $85. It would be somewhat better than what you have now, I think. You might be able to get a used 80mm SID pretty cheap. It all depends on your budget, willingness to go used, and patience for shopping.
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had a forge and put a Rockshox Tora U-turn on it (adjustable suspension height) and 100mm made the bike ride like crap, 80mm was the sweet spot.

I'd be hesitant to put down money on a fork with that much travel for your bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What's your budget? You can get a brand new Dart2 with V brake bosses for around $85. It would be somewhat better than what you have now, I think. You might be able to get a used 80mm SID pretty cheap. It all depends on your budget, willingness to go used, and patience for shopping.
    I used to have a Dart 3 that I'd give to him for free... you might throw a "wanted" ad up, there's bound to be some guys with Dart forks gathering dust.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie View Post
    I used to have a Dart 3 that I'd give to him for free... you might throw a "wanted" ad up, there's bound to be some guys with Dart forks gathering dust.
    Yeah, a wanted ad could be a heck of an idea. I am sure there are plenty of Darts and Suntour take offs collecting dust in peoples garages, some might be had for just the cost of shipping.

P.S. if your serious about giving the Dart3 away I would be happy to pay the shipping cost. It would be a decent upgrade over the Dart2 on my sons Windsor. At least the Dart3s have rebound adjustment

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Regardless of the fork issue, nice job! You'd never think from looking at it that that's a Target bike. It looks like a real MTB, and pretty sweet at that. Great color scheme/look to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice!!

banned
    Here's a suggestion from another thread. Mtnbiker72 has given me very good advice in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The Recon Silver Solo Air can easily be spaced down (which lowers the axle to crown measurement and reduces travel) to 100mm or 80mm. It is done in the Solo Air cartridge, takes about 10-15min for a competent mechanic to do. Fork should come with spacers to do this, or they can be had aftermarket.