1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Newbie with a Mamba!!

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here to the forum. I'm looking forward to learning about mountain bikes and riding in general.
    I just purchased a brand new 2013 Trek Mamba yesterday, not really sure if it's a good bike for a rookie. I paid $799 + tax for it so hopefully I didn't get to bad of a deal.

I welcome any advice on the Mamba.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Congrats on the new bike. My fiancÚ picked up a 2013 Mamba a couple of months ago and could not be happier with the bike. SHe is a total rookie and is progressing quickly on the bike. I think you will be very happy with it. Just get out and start riding it. The only things we did on the bike is to replace the stock grips, which stink, with a pair of Bontrager Rhythm grips and we replaced the cheap factory peddles with a pair of Speedplay platforms. Other than that the bike has been fantastic and completely trouble free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just returned from riding it about 7 1/2 miles (all pavement), your advise on the grips is good, my hands are sore. Where is the best/cheapest place (USA) to purchase Bontranger??

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Newbie with a Mamba!!

Congrats, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I picked up my grips and hers at the LBS where we purchased the bikes. I am a huge proponent of buying locally they give me a pretty good deal.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Newbie with a Mamba!!

Congrats on the new Mamba. My son and I bought 2013 Mambas last July (our first real MTB's). Been great bikes for getting started on a totally addictive sport! Ours are still mostly stock except for tires, pedals and grips. I got a pair of Clark's lock-on grips from Amazon that were cheap (less than $10), but will probably try ODI Rogue or Ruffian grips at some point as I've heard good things. My son got a Panaracer Rampage tire for the front, but still has the stock Bontrager tire on the rear. Really liking the Rampage so far. My bike still has the stock Bonty in front, but I swapped the rear tire for a Maxxis Aspen. Doesn't have great grip, but the Aspen definitely rolls faster than the Bonty. Never realized how much difference tires could make but am a believer now!

So grips are a relatively inexpensive upgrade that helps, and tires can be (if you really watch for deals).

mtbr member
    Enjoy the Mamba, I think that's a solid choice. If we're talking grips, I have to say I really love the cushion and grip of ODI Rogue grips -- available at lots of LBS's or online: Amazon.com: odi
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the advise guys. I run the ODI lock-on grips on my Kawasaki SXR Jet Ski's, I wonder if they will work on the Mamba?? The LBS had a few sets of pedals but they where all in the $100 price range so I ordered a set of cheap Wellgo Xpedo pedals off ebay, hopefully I like them..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's a really good deal on the mamba. Goes for $999 at LBS here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joewat64 View Post
    That's a really good deal on the mamba. Goes for $999 at LBS here.
    I wasn't sure if the price tag ($989.99) they had on the bike was inflated so I ask the guy how much room he had to move on the bike. He first said $849.99, then when I was getting ready to leave he said $799.99 so I bought it. I ended up buying the SSR seat and a water bottle holder also.

mtbr member

Newbie with a Mamba!!

Congrats in the bike. Welcome

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just bought the same bike today after a 15 year hiatis from mountain biking. I'm 6'2" and got the 21" frame. Rode it a ton today with my 6 year old who is just learning. Really nice bike. I don't have much clearance for the boys on the cross bar but it feels great riding. I always lean the bike while standing anyway so i'm not too concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I finally had a chance tonight to take the Mamba off road. I'm very happy with the ride, It's defiantly easier for me to ride than my brothers Trek with 26's. Being an off road newbie, I need all the advantage I can get.