1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Newbie looking for used bike advice, see links please

Im 34 years old and i currently weigh in at 318, i was 338 4 weeks ago and im looking at getting a bike to continue my weight loss, i cant afford a ton of bike so im looking at used ones, here are a few and any advice is much appreciated.

1.Specialized HardRock Comp Pro Mountain Bike 300 OBO Trade?
    2.mountain bike
    3.Specialized Hardrock Sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    None of those bikes have the size listed ,you need to know that. Read the info at the top of this page. You can look on the bike blue book for prices and bikepedia foe info on bikes. It would help if you told us how you are going to ride the bike,if you are going to ride trails ,you might need to up your budget.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like the Iron Horse the best. The fork's not great, but it's name-brand and there's some availability of maintenance parts, and it has disc brakes. The pricing is also least inflated.

Size is pretty important with bicycles. However, most of us could fit at least two sizes in a pinch. How tall are you?

With used bikes, condition is king. Are you comfortable working on mechanical things? If the drivetrain is chewed, you can spend another $100 or more getting it back to good shape. IMO, a fairly good indicator is the condition of the chain.
    Chain Maintenance

Congratulations on the weight loss so far.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will be riding on local bike trails, some paved some dirt but nothing extreme. I plan to take the bike with me when i go truck driving to ride on when i can. The owner of the specialized hardrock pro says it is a 26'' and the drive chain is good and its 5 yrs. old just a lil tear on the seat and will sell it to me for $200.00 today was asking $300.00, the iron horse is a quantum 2 and is 17.5 so i think it may be too small for me. im 5'8and my weight is listed

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    26" is the wheel size,you need to know the frame size. Frame size is measured from the middle of the bottom bracket to the top tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    the specialized comp pro is a 21'' frame

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm 5'8" and 17.5" is a great size for me in Specialized. The different brands aren't consistent, but they're usually at least close. In other words, while I make no specific promises, 17.5" is in the ballpark for you.

It's nice that the owner thinks the chain is good, but the owner may not know wtf he's talking about. That's why things like rulers are nice. The owner has already blown it on the date - there's no way the Hardrock Comp Pro is only five years old. The Sport may be.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I'm 5'8" and 17.5" is a great size for me in Specialized. The different brands aren't consistent, but they're usually at least close. In other words, while I make no specific promises, 17.5" is in the ballpark for you.

It's nice that the owner thinks the chain is good, but the owner may not know wtf he's talking about. That's why things like rulers are nice. The owner has already blown it on the date - there's no way the Hardrock Comp Pro is only five years old. The Sport may be.
    Thank you, its 10 years old. So i guess its back to the ironhorse

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The iron horse is a flop, thanks andrwswitch, rangeriderda your advice helped alot so i will most likely take the 21'' specialized if nothing else, the specialized has local support and the guy has paperwork and reciepts for everything

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The Hardrock for $300 is a 2003 model and the Hardrock for $350 is a 2005 model.

2003 Specialized Hardrocks
    2005 Specialized Hardrocks

Bicycle Blue Book - Trade With Confidence

What's the local support that you think that you'll get from Specialized?

Secondhand bikes aren't covered by warranty.
    A bike shop that sells Specialized bikes will charge you to do work on the bike just like any bike shop will.
    A bike mechanic in a shop that sells Specialized bikes won't do anything different to a bike mechanic in a shop that doesn't sell Specialized.

How tall are you ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 21" is most likely too big for you .The reach to the bars might be too far the seat tube too long . Go to some local shops and test ride some bikes to get a feel for what size would work for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    The Hardrock for $300 is a 2003 model and the Hardrock for $350 is a 2005 model.

2003 Specialized Hardrocks
    2005 Specialized Hardrocks

Bicycle Blue Book - Trade With Confidence

What's the local support that you think that you'll get from Specialized?

Secondhand bikes aren't covered by warranty.
    A bike shop that sells Specialized bikes will charge you to do work on the bike just like any bike shop will.
    A bike mechanic in a shop that sells Specialized bikes won't do anything different to a bike mechanic in a shop that doesn't sell Specialized.

How tall are you ?
    5'8

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I missed that in your earlier post, I'd say that a 21" frame would be a bit too big for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am 5' 11" I ride an 18 inch bike. I rode my friends 20" giant and felt like a little kid on an adult bike. Unless your legs are crazy long a 21" frame is WAY too big.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would check the Ironhorse 1st. Decent bike, not a bad price, and should be close on size. I am with AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    5'8" here. Short inseam. I must ride a small (29ers) due to standover. 21 would certainly be a stretch unless your torso is really short and your legs are crazy long. At most you should be on a medium frame 17.5/18. You should, need to, have to try anything you want to buy before you buy. If it's to small, to large both would make riding difficult and uncomfortable.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff round two)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er