mtbr member
    May 2010

Newbie looking for advice

I decided to get back on my 92 diamond back ascent and work off some of the weight that I have put on in the last few years and I was shoked when I took in what I thought was a great shape bike for adjustments.

I was told that my bike needed hub, chain, and shifters, I was told that what I had on the bike was not that good to start with and with no work done to the bike in the last 10 years the cables and springs just seized, the repair man wanted $200 to fix, I don't have the money for a new bike and it seems like a waste of money to throw away what I have. I can put chain, sprockets and shifters on but how hard is it to adjust? and how do I figure out what to replace what I have with?

Thanks every one for all your help.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Building and maintaining bikes is not that hard, but it's quite time consuming, especially if you're doing it at home and don't have access to shop tools.

Before you take the wheels off, check your chain for wear. If it's worn out, chuck it. Now it's out of your way for the rest of the process. You can check chain wear with a steel ruler or tape measure. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#wear

Next, I'd start take off the wheels and check the hubs. If there's a grinding feeling when you turn the axle in the hub with your fingers, they need to be rebuilt and they may be worn out. If your hubs are toast, you're probably better off replacing the whole wheel.

While the wheels are off, check your headset and bottom bracket the same way. Also check those bearings for play. A headset from 1992 should be rebuildable, although there are some much better products on the market now. A bottom bracket from '92 might be rebuildable, but a much better replacement should cost about $30. Removing the old one and installing the new one will require a couple of special tools.

Are your cables rusty? If they are, they're garbage. Your housings could probably stand to be replaced too. Cables and housings are a pretty easy replacement, but I usually get my housings cut in the shop just because I'm lazy about hand-filing the ends, and they need to be cut and filed cleanly to work well.

Drip some tri-flow or penetrating oil on all the pivot points on your derailleurs and then see if you can get them to operate. Often, they just need some attention. Check out your brake pivots too - they shouldn't grind or have excessive play. And you should probably just throw out your current brake pads and get a new set. Make sure they're the right kind - there were at least two standards for cantilever brake shoes, and I don't think they're compatible.

For specific instructions, with pictures, of anything I've mentioned, check out www.parktool.com. Sheldon Brown goes more in-depth, but he didn't photograph things as much as the Park Tool guys.

If you find many worn out parts, you may not be able to restore your bike without spending as much or more than what you'd spend on a used bike from the last five years. So figure out what you need and do some price checks online before you spend any money.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    you might want to look at buying a newer used bike....even if you put the $200 into the bike you'll still have a nearly 20 year old bike with many, many still original parts that are likely to fail soon.
    30,000+ Bike Parts and Accessories...Largest Inventory on the Internet

Members who have read this thread: 0