mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Newbie here, i need some advice

Howdy,

Ok so i bought a bike off C-list last year to get to and from work and ride the local trails near my house. Its an GT Outpost, i think he worked on it and what not. Got it for 125 bucks so i didnt htink it was a bad deal.

Im having some issues with it now. It wont shift to the 3rd set of speeds (i think the term is right) and it is making a clank (best way to describe it) every so often when im pedaling.

I would like to take it into a shop to get it tuned up, but im not sure how much it would cost..

basically is it worth taking it in to get it looked at or should i be looking ito buying a new bike?

What bruise?
    There really isnít any way to guess at what the total cost will be. You donít mention what kind of shape itís in, how old etc.

If youíve been riding it for a year and this is the first issue, your $125 was a good investment. Since it sounds like a cable issue (you didnít mention a recent crash) go for the tune-up. If your not happy with the bike in general and have some extra cash a new bike could be a consideration but if youíre getting everything you want out of it now ride it until it really breaks.

Who knows, it may be a bigger issue but it doesnít sound like it.

Picture Unrelated
    You could learn how to do all the adjustments on your bike if you wanted. There's plenty of resources out there including Park Tools website, youtube, Sheldon Brown's website, and so on.

I would say take it into a shop to have it tuned up the first time because you don't know how bad shape it is in right now. They'll true the wheels, tighten everything safely, and adjust everything. From there you can learn to do maintenance yourself to keep everything running.

Everyone will point you to instructions on how to increase the cable tension on your front derailleur or do other adjustments but for all we know your derailleur is mangled and might never function properly. At least if you start from a known good state with a bike shop tune up you'll know that the bike can be tuned back to a good state.

You can call and ask how much a tune up will cost, might be kind of expensive but it will still be cheaper than a new bike. Stick with the bike you bought, replace the minor things that go wrong with it, and in the meantime save up for your next bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bout it last year from someone on craigslist. It appeared he was fixing bikes in his garage and selling them. I have not crashed it nor really dropped it since I got it, it has taken a couple rides in the back of my truck.

I would like to learn how to fix things myself but I'm afraid I would screw it up. I'll call some shops and see how much a tune up would be.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    You wont mess it up if you read but it takes a wile to get the hang of it. I learned everything in a few months. If you are just using it for transportation and its not a hobby I would apt to take it to the shop. If its a and you like tinkering learn to do it yourself. Its not hard to work on a bike and you may need a few special tools for like 20 or 30 dollars but its no biggie.

look here.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Huckin' trails
    The bike itself is good, as GT are good bikes, and your problem sound simply like a derailleur adjustment problem, maybe a BB to tighten too... Should not cost more then $20-30 to get everything fix up, unless something need to be replace, but you should be good.

Like cars, bikes need maintenance and periodical expense to keep them running... see how much you save by using it to commute and you will be more kind to accept maintenance charges and little time to take care of your ride...

I ride 5 km everyday commuting in downtown, and I have about $50 of annual fees for 2 bikes (winter and summer), most of it is for wheel truing, and then brakes and thats pretty much all... (I do most of tune up and cleaning myself).

I can't afford a car to do what my bikes allow me too.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would like to learn how to fix things myself but I'm afraid I would screw it up. I'll call some shops and see how much a tune up would be.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

also a newbie

hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kettlebell99 View Post
    hey everyone! I just got my first bike so I am excited but at the same time uninformed. I just got a trek 4300d. There is no going back now but was wondering first, is it a good started bike, and what upgrades should I consider. If I should upgrade something, what brand of part and about how much it costs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Just go out and ride the thing! Replace/upgrade things when they wear out. If you MUST do something then consider rider interface stuff like more comfortable grips, saddle etc. The 4300d is a very nice entry level trail bike, enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by travman769 View Post
    and it is making a clank (best way to describe it) every so often when im pedaling.
    It might be worth going to a shop just to get that clank diagnosed.

I like zebrahum's advice. A shop will catch problems that you might not notice due to inexperience. Example: just this week I rebuilt a bike for my son's friend. Both hubs were wobbly from being out of adjustment. The rear hub had a bad wobble, and it turned out that the innermost part of the cone nut was mangled, probably because it was not in firm contact w/the bearings like it was supposed to be.

It is true that bikes aren't hard, and some of us derive much enjoyment from working on them. If you choose to repair the bike yourself, keep in mind that any clank, bump, rough feelings from bearings, anything unusual like that is typically indicative of a problem that needs to be addressed. That clank, for example -- take some time to diagnose the cause of that.