1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Newbie here and hooked!

Hi
    I'm from San Diego, CA (Eastlake area of Chula Vista to be exact) and bought my first bike this past weekend from Performance Bike. I went in with the idea of getting a "cheapie" bike at first and spending no more than $200-$300 OTD. Well..I was educated a little by one of the helpful sales person and ended up buying a GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc. Not quite a high end bike but not low end either from what I was reading. So far I like it. I have ridden this twice. Yesterday and Saturday. Great bike but I'm already wanting to upgrade to maybe the 1.0 (this is the only thing in my budget for now). Do you think this is silly or should I just keep riding a little more to get used to it and possibly get another bike next year (when income tax time is here)?

Thanks for your help.

...the wave won't brek
    FWIW I would ride that bike at least one, if not two seasons to make sure you are going to stick with the sport.

It's not badly equipped for the Price.

Instead of upgrading the whole bike to something so similar maybe upgrade parts as they fail.

This approach does cost you more money in the long run (because it is more cost effective to purchase parts on a bike instead of after market) but you can also take more time and choose something a little different form what you have.

Enjoy the ride

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    I have to keep myself from buying new equipment about every day, but then I go out and ride and forget that there was even anything I wanted to buy. Just save some more money and buy a real high end bike next year if you're still into it. A 1.0 might be nice but you already got a decent bike, get an awesome bike next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks! I'm kind of glad to hear that. I was tempted to try and upgrade to a newer bike already but this way I can save some money I'll keep riding and try to figure out what exactly my needs are and then next year or later, get something new.