mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Newbie here. Bought a Giant Boulder for...

I joined this site back in 2005 when I was thinking about biking agian and then the thought left me. I had to post 2 posts just now to post a new one myself!

Anyway, I got the bug again and I bought a Giant Boulder for light trails and such but I'm having fun on some medium trails at a park.

Here's the bike for about $350: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...er/7305/44110/

Although I guess it's a trail type bike, it does good on the logs and such. Yes, I've wiped out a few times but nothing bad since I'm not flying down the trails.

Can this bike handle the medium trails (or more) and is it a good frame to add tougher stuff on it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Take this for what it is, the advice of a fellow newb. Having given the Boulder a pretty serious look when I started on my MTB path by buying for my 12 year old, I don't think I would do much upgrading to it, mostly because of the CroMoly frame. I think its a nice bike to try out mountain biking, personally I wouldn't be too hesitant to use it on harder trails. Don't think its gonna have epic failures, its just not going to last too long. But if you are ok with beating it up while learning to ride, then replace it when your skills advance, then I think its fine.

But as I said, fellow newb, so let's both see what the vets have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I personally wouldnt worry about the frame as much as the components.I mean it might be a little heavy . The fork isnt bad for what you are using it for.I have that same fork on a Giant. Again a little heavy. NOT for big hits. I would ride that bike until you decide if you want to commit to a more expensive bike. If you read my other posts I am completely going against them in this, but I really wouldnt upgrade parts . It is much more economical to get a complete bike with better components. Believe me I KNOW from experience. $200 here $400 there, it adds up fast.

A decent new fork is around $300 or $400 . A good fork ? HAHA. Way more than your whole bike cost.I am not being a jerk cause my Giant Rincon is also an entry level bike.Just saying, you will be happier if you just get a model with better parts from the start.
    I have some more exp. bikes, but the Giant is reliable and I ride it alot.
    Have fun with it and maybe get another bike in the future.

KC Weekend Warrior
    I also have an entry level Giant (09 Rincon) Take it anywhere your courage can imagine - it can take it. Ride it until it breaks - replace only what you have too. Good hunting!
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the.rebot View Post
    I also have an entry level Giant (09 Rincon) Take it anywhere your courage can imagine - it can take it. Ride it until it breaks - replace only what you have too. Good hunting!
    That's my attitude too. Seems like a good frame that will hold up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

yup.

Quote Originally Posted by the.rebot View Post
    Yeah, ride it into the ground...why not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a boulder as my so called (trainer) going up hill this thing is a pig so heavy coming down it is nice. it is worth the price but use it until it is used or dead. For myself probably going to ditch this next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    I have a boulder as my so called (trainer) going up hill this thing is a pig so heavy coming down it is nice. it is worth the price but use it until it is used or dead. For myself probably going to ditch this next year.
    I think I saw somewhere that it weighs ~34lbs. Is that a lot for a mountain bike of this type? It feels solid on the trails.

icalebkim
    The frame is not a thing to worry about; my chromoly has been going strong for 22 years (rigid all its life!)
    A decent fork for you would cost +-200 off ebay. Look at some Suntour Epicons - they are very cheap/good quality.

Next, I would upgrade the derraileur. JensonUSA sells decent ones for about 50 dollars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarnhart View Post
    I personally wouldnt worry about the frame as much as the components.I mean it might be a little heavy . The fork isnt bad for what you are using it for.I have that same fork on a Giant. Again a little heavy. NOT for big hits. I would ride that bike until you decide if you want to commit to a more expensive bike. If you read my other posts I am completely going against them in this, but I really wouldnt upgrade parts . It is much more economical to get a complete bike with better components. Believe me I KNOW from experience. $200 here $400 there, it adds up fast.
    that's a great advice. I would not start putting expensive components on an entry level frame (although all my frames are steel). Buying a bike by pieces always ends up costing significantly more... I went through this when I got my single speed. I had many bike parts laying around and thought that I could just buy a frame and a few parts to make it work. Well, 900 dollars later I got my single speed, while a complete surly 1x1 can be had for 600-700 on eBay.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I still have the Giant Boulder I bought as my first bike in 2005. It feels like a truck and I wouldn't have any problem with giving it hell. I keep it still as a loaner to my non-biking friends if I can talk them into coming out on a ride with me. Through three years of state-park woods trail riding it's held up in my opinion quite well (broke/replaced: rear derailleur and saddle across six years).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jake01 View Post
    I think I saw somewhere that it weighs ~34lbs. Is that a lot for a mountain bike of this type? It feels solid on the trails.
    not knocking on it. it does weigh a pretty good amount for a mountain bike, for this price range it is decent. It does feel quite good on some flat and moderate trails but going up hill it is not fun. I think that I have put it thru some abuse and it is still going well worth the price.