1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

newbie got new bike coming

I have been a roadie for a while but have always wanted to get into MTB. I am addicted to riding bikes!! But now it's time to do it and do it right. When got into road bikes my wallet was busted and I wanted to avoid that this time so I wanted a bike I could grow into and not out of. So I looked at the local LBS but entry level was about $2200 for full suspension - (trek fuel 8 and Stumpjumper comp) then i started doing reserach and went on ebay etc. found for the money ebay was the only way to go. I ended up finding a bike that was much better spec'ed with much better parts than the "entry level" FS bikes from LBS.

trek fuel 9.5 Carbon XT/XTR

I cant wait and will have to ride my roadie until then.

I think this will be more than enuff bike!!

tete

EDIT: I'm Officially Broke

mtbr member
    Nice Bike man, I'm sure it will serve you well. Welcome to MTBing!!