1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Newbie to bikes, choosing a first 'real' bike. (5-800 budget)

I've been riding an old 199x trek 800 for some time now and the thing is about done.
    Now I primarily used the thing for commuting both short and long (up to about 70km) but I also have been getting into trails and free riding lately, figured it's time to dump some money into the hobby.

Took a look around and the Norco storm 6.2 and 9.1 seem to be in my range. So does the trek excalibur 4. I also found a Norco shore three (2007) for 700 through a friend, which seems pretty outside of what I do, but maybe it's worth the money since it's good deal for a bike that can do more than I need? I don't know much about downhills and how they handle commuting. I'd love some advice e or even a kick in the right direction. If there's something more affordable as an entry level trail bike I'm more than happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What does trek need? How would you change it to work better for the way you ride? Downhill bikes are meant for guess what downhill,if you are riding the street and trails you should lok for something made for those types of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd like it to give me more power. Feels like I hit the upper limit as far as street riding goes. I canbe on rthe heaviest gear and still feel like I have more to give, but the bike is at its peak. I'd also like a bit more travel and 29inch tires if I can. Beyond that I just want to see what bikes have to offer, I don't really know what I need since I've never really had it.

I only looked into the shore because it was good bang for the buc. Figured at a low budget if I could find a 1500 bike for 700 I might be getting more for what I want to do even if it's not designed for it.
    Sorry, I really do appreciate any information, I have no idea what I'm talking about with bikes and I plan on using this bike to learn. Thanks a lot.