1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm newbie. bike size

whats up, i'm new to this sport and i really enjoy it. I recently(3weeks) bought a an 08 trek 4300. i love the way it rides but....just this weekened i did some trails and ate it a few times though. not sure if it has to do with the size of the bike. some experienced bikers mentioned something about the bike size. i dont know much about bikes i am 5'9 and the bike store sold me a 19.5 inch frame.is that going to be a problem?? i can't exchange it cause it took some wipe outs so it doesnt look new.

does it feel comfortable?

mtbr member
    How are you crashing? Are you going over the bars a lot?

FWIW, I'm 5' 8", and my bikes are all between 17 and 18 inches in frame size. Everyone's built differently though.